Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Meelmore lodge  (Read 13598 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: Meelmore lodge
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010 »

More stalking turns out that Desmond Patterson is "chairman for the Mourne Heritage Trust." (source)

You would think that might mean he is more sympathetic to the needs of hikers etc. who want to use Meelmore Lodge as a base in the Mournes?  That said, I've no idea what the Mourne Heritage Trust's stance is on people actually making use of the mountains ::)

warninglight

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010 »

I must agree with the OP's sentiments on Meelmor, probably the same weekend a few of you seemed to be there I showed up with 5 friends for just a night.

I was driving a little Austin 1100, the other lad a VW Polo, all respectably dressed, not a 'yob' amongst us. I pulled in and immediately some bloke came over on his quadbike  and just told us to leave. He was plain rude about it and I have no intention of being back.

If you turn left out of Meelmor and turn right onto the Newcastle Rd. there's a campsite maybe a mile down on the left called 'The Rock'

Is it any good, welcoming to groups etc? I ended up in Castlewellan that night.

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010 »

I've seen all the negative feedback in the past, so I was pleasantly surprised when I stayed a couple of weeks ago. 

The site was tidy and well kept, facilities were clean, the staff were reasonably friendly and it was quiet.  It was a Thursday night though, so that probably makes a difference.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010 »

....It was a Thursday night though....
I think that's the trick for a lot of establishments that 'entertain' the public...catch them off peak and you catch them at their best?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010 »

I've stayed at Meelmore quite a few times and have had nothing but a very friendly response from the owners (although i'm usually trailing a few kids with me and i've a few grey hairs now  :o ). Yes i've experienced the noisy musical youth there and have seen the owner sorting it out, although it doesn't really bother me too much as the drink numbs the eardrums a bit and i'm usually one of the last ones to hit the sack anyway  ::)  , the toilets have been messy at times when they are busy but i have noticed improvements lately, especially when the 2nd toilet block went in, really they could do with another though. I understand peoples grievances at the owners attitude to non-families but again i have to commend the owners on trying to implement the family policy. Do love it when Des brings round the fire logs on his quad though and glad to see he hasn't resort to strapping the shotgun on yet (i know another site where the owner likes to walk around firing a few rounds off in the evening!) . I would go as far as saying its my favourite campsite, i'm sure you'll appreciate it more when your older  ;D

think outside, no box required
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]