Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ballyboley Forest 11.04.18  (Read 12848 times)

NorthernSky

• Newbie Poster
Re: Ballyboley Forest 11.04.18
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018 »

looks nice, and not too far from me  :D

any details on the Agnew's Hill to Larnia walk? maps or guides...

specimanYak

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018 »

It's an enjoyable walk and worth checking out. Here's the route I took on Google Maps so you can check the road names:

https://goo.gl/L8d56D

It's part of The Antrim Hills Way so you can find more info here:

https://goo.gl/DbeC8Q

https://goo.gl/qCGgYx

looks nice, and not too far from me  :D

any details on the Agnew's Hill to Larnia walk? maps or guides...

NorthernSky

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018 »

good job cheers

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018 »

Is there anyplace you could park and camp there? Or do you have to hike in a bit to be out of sight?

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018 »

There is a small car-park close by but you would need to hike in a bit to get out of sight. It was my first time camping there so there may be other places with better access. Apparently there used to be a camping / caravan site on the other side of the forest rented out by a farmer but looks like it's not available. Might be worth enquiring about it though:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/camping-and-caravanning-forests

http://www.dunamoy.com/downloads/Ballyboley%20forest.pdf

Is there anyplace you could park and camp there? Or do you have to hike in a bit to be out of sight?

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018 »

The forestry service had an arrangement called 'Touring in the Trees' which gave people access to Ballyboley.  The sites were more aimed at the self sufficient caravanners/motor homes.  I don't think it operates there anymore.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018 »

Yeah, the 'Touring in the Trees' doesn't operate at Ballyboley anymore but if we knew where the actual caravan / motor home site was, then Margaret could maybe contact the closest farm (who leased the land) and inquire as to whether they could camp there for a few nights. Maybe the phone numbers on the previous links might yield some more info or being a local man from the area would you know where the site previously was? A Google maps reference might give some indication as to the closest farm, and who to make contact with, worth a try.

The forestry service had an arrangement called 'Touring in the Trees' which gave people access to Ballyboley.  The sites were more aimed at the self sufficient caravanners/motor homes.  I don't think it operates there anymore.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018 »

Don't know if this will work.  Can't seem to add the picture itself. 

Ballyboley Forest

Caravan site is to the left of the parked cars, at southern entrance.  If I was to guess I'd say the forestry service own the land.  To be honest there is nothing stopping others driving up to the car park at night.

"Not all those who wander are lost."

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018 »

Brilliant, that's perfect. I read on here that the farmer owns the land and grants permission for camping etc, so it could be worth getting in contact with any of those nearby houses. Also here's a link with some more info:

'In the same area a farmer gives permission to groups to camp at Crosswater Bridge
(299000) just north of the Ballyboley Inn on the main Larne/ Ballymena Road, Contact:
Tommy Miskelly – 07711020046.'

http://www.bbni.org.uk/ni/DofE_Access_Antrim_Hills.pdf

Hope any of this info helps get you out and about sooner than later Margaret!
Good luck with it.

Don't know if this will work.  Can't seem to add the picture itself. 

Ballyboley Forest

Caravan site is to the left of the parked cars, at southern entrance.  If I was to guess I'd say the forestry service own the land.  To be honest there is nothing stopping others driving up to the car park at night.

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018 »

Thank you so much. We have plenty of sites to try now. We got a camping trailer to stuff the fire pit into, and all of our gear. The oldest has exams next week, and then the little one has scout camp the weekend after, but hoping to be be out asap after that. The husband is going to spend the intervening time go to shopping centres late at night and getting used to driving with trailer, parking and so on. It is small, only 4 ft, but still a new experience and easier to get the hang of without traffic or trying to turn around in small areas.

The farmers details are perfect. I will be happy to pay and leave deposits if they wish to guarantee we will be responsible on their land. We do make a practice to erase traces... not only our own, but will remove any litter laying about, always have when out in the wilds.  This information could be so helpful if they go for certain scout badges as well.

I absolutely can't wait to get started. The younger one has been working on outdoor cooking in the back garden for sometime, and recently earned his outdoor cooking badge at a scouting event as well. I have been trying to find ghost stories, never actually find anything that scares them, but we have fun telling stories anyway, and gather up fun game ideas. A scavenger hunt certainly, and hide and seek , probably bring a small telescope for night time as well.
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]