Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Bike suggestions please?  (Read 3832 times)

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
Bike suggestions please?
« on: October 25, 2011 »

I've been without a bike now for a few years, I was always on one as a kid etc.

Now I would like another bike so I can get out again. 
I'd like to do some cycling on forest paths etc but nothing too strenous, just forest track.

But also something that I could cycle that isnt overly heavy for up and down into the town.

I think you get what I mean, basically a good all round bike.

Any suggestions?
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

gardener

• Newbie Poster
Re: Bike suggestions please?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011 »

Call into McGarveys in king st Belfast, He is full of information and advice plus brings in a lot of second hand bikes at good prices in mint condition.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011 »

Have a look at www.chainreactioncycles.com
massive range, some of the best prices around, though their kit is high end stuff, and delivery is really fast.
they even have a shop on Boucher Road.

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011 »

hi mate
            I recently bought a giant mountain bike from mc conveys it's got all the extra's you need ,proper Suspension,disc breaks( don't try biking without these)and big tyres for grip it's great for forest trek's but terrible on the road's,ie you can nearly feel the road eating up the tyres!suppose you could buy a bike like mine then fit (city ride) smooth tyres to it,mine was £579 but i'am sure you could get one cheaper,try ebay or gumtree,again disc brakes for safety,good luck

Al Fresco

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011 »

I have just bought a bike through the cycle to work scheme, a great way of getting a very good bike for a lot less than the ticket price, plus it can be paid off over 12 or 18 months interest free.
I wanted a good solid bike that could take some serious abuse with good components, that could attack a downhill section, be pedalled up it and also be good on the road too. After many weeks of contemplating and scrutinizing, I bought a Saracen Zen.
Ticks all the boxes and great value for money.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011 »

Oisin, it's hard to get something good at everything, but your requirements are all moderate so I see about 3 options depending on your taste:

• a City Cross/Hybrid - like a hardtail mountain bike but with road bike size wheels. They tend to have a bit of front suspension, some have disc brakes, and the tyres are moderately wide. A good all-rounder.
  • a Hardtail mountain bike - front suspension, wide 26" wheels, disc brakes. Some endurance racers are very light but pricy. More for steeper offroad.
  • a Cyclocross bike - like a racing bike for offroad: smaller gearing, V or disc brakes, wider tyres... that's about it. Will handle all kinds of mud if you're hard enough :)

You can put grippy tyres or smooth road tyres on all of the above, or something that will handle both ok. There are some end of year bargains about, but unless you go second-hand you probably are looking around £400 for the start of the good stuff. There are plenty of bikes on Gumtree, but expect to put money into them for servicing and parts, and budget for accessories like lights, pump, puncture repair, helmet or whatever.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011 »

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]