Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Kit list  (Read 11580 times)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Kit list
« on: February 07, 2011 »

Last week an old thread of Jonno's regarding kit was revived, which, at the time at least for me anyway proved interesting. it also sparked memories of Dowser's packing http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1382. I always wondered what people took with them and it has been the subject of many a car journey to and from the hills.

I always took the opinion that if an extra kilo or two prevents you from doing something whether it be summit a mountain or go for a walk it would be a sad day. I doubt my outlook has changed much and I probably bring too much stuff with me but I feel some comfort, at least within myself that I am prepared as best as possible for most eventualities.

Well after a bit of weighing and considering what I take with me into the hills I have the final list. I know I have forgotten something somewhere along the line but here goes:

OOH it's a map and compass :P

This is the standard sort of kit I would have for a night wild camping.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Matthew

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: Kit list
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011 »

Nice, although you will be wearing a couple of kilos of the clothing section.  Taking away food and the clothing down to the windstopper vest gives you a base weight of 8.7kg which is pretty decent (can't remember if fuel counts - left it in). You have a mix of really light gear, like your insulation & sleep system, and some sturdier stuff, like your cook system and pack.

You could drop another kilo by ditching one of the three insulating layers and switching to a sub-kilo pack, but you're generally in a good zone there for all year round (well, I think the sleeping bag is light for winter but you did say before that you sleep hot)!

I'm thinking of the MH Super Scrambler for my new 4-season/backpacking bag - what do you think of the Dihedral? How long have you been using it?
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011 »

The Dihedral is a great pack, originally I had a Berghaus Bioflex which was fine and I was happy with until I actually started properly using it. I found that the back support was not that good, it was difficult to fit and when wearing it I had to constantly tighten the straps.
Before my summer expedition I was looking for a 40-50l pack to take as hand luggage, I was also interested in a technical pack as I was interested in winter climbing. I ended up ditching my pack for the dihedral. Its performance was top notch, it was crammed to the neck with kit and food and it never broke, ripped or showed signs of wear.
The bag does not have two side pockets but the top ones more than make up for this.

All in all I would/will buy one when this one is done.

Matthew

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011 »

Cool, thanks for the info.

The Super Scrambler I'm looking at has less support, but the design is similar and seems really functional - there's testimonial of it taking 50lb loads with no bother. I was thinking I could always make light hip/side pockets if needed, or just add an OMM chest pouch (or make my own).

Good to know there are no niggles.
Craig
-----------------------

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011 »

Taking away food and the clothing down to the windstopper vest gives you a base weight of 8.7kg which is pretty decent (can't remember if fuel counts - left it in).

Yep, think fuel gets left in.  So base weight is everything you will be carrying minus food, water and the clothes on your back.

I think that's a good base weight given the equipment you are carrying.  As Craig pointed out you are carrying some quality kit that perhaps weighs more but I know you are happy with the trade off in performance.  However, at least you know if you ever wanted to shave the grams you could do so fairly easily.

One question - what is the car snow foam for?!  I'm getting worried about your cleaning obsessions ;D  

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011 »

Yea the cooking system might need a looking at and perhaps replaced with a jet boil for example but I just never feel like I can cook a great deal in it. Perhaps my stove and large pot come in handy for the likes of our Mourne way group tea experiance but it is a bit ott for general rehydrated meals.

Clothing wise again I am sure some bits could get left out and yes the bag could be traded for something light.

One question - what is the car snow foam for?!  I'm getting worried about your cleaning obsessions ;D  

Its very concentrated (1:150) and produces really good suds which are effective at cleaning oils so its great for washing the pots and pans. It also does wonders for cars lol.

Matthew

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011 »

You seem very efficiently organised. How do you find the rucksack? I'm on the lookout for a sub 1500g 50ish sack thats comfy on the shoulders.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011 »

You seem very efficiently organised. How do you find the rucksack? I'm on the lookout for a sub 1500g 50ish sack thats comfy on the shoulders.
^^^^ look up - Matthew appears to like the Dihedral very much  ;)

I've been considering the following around the 1000g mark:
OMM Villain - I'm sure you've seen one of these before  :D
Golite Jam - somebody on here has the smaller Peak
Mountain Hardware Super Scrambler *

and have noticed these getting decent reviews more around the 1500g mark (maybe after customisation):
Osprey Exos series (bound to be a 46-50L in there) - there's a smaller one in work.
Lightwave packs - there's a 50L in the store in work, sure someone would let you look at it.
Crux AK-47
Haglofs LIM

* This is winning as it is light, not fussy, big enough, has a bit of structure for heavy loads but still some padding if you remove it, climbing friendly, and I can add fussy bits if I want them (I'd rather do this than taking scissors to the expensive OMM)... and a bit cheaper than some of the competition. Don't need it yet though.
Craig
-----------------------

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011 »

I reall like like the pack and would choose it every time unless I had to carry more kit. You are more than welcome to give it a bash if you want J. Just give me the heads up and ill throw it round to you.

Matthew

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011 »

Cheers mate, I might give it a once round some time if you didn't mind.

I have tried the OMM Villain but it had straps like cheesewire. I tried the Golite Jam too but didn't pay enough attention to see how it felt :)

I reall like like the pack and would choose it every time unless I had to carry more kit. You are more than welcome to give it a bash if you want J. Just give me the heads up and ill throw it round to you.

Matthew

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011 »

The straps on the MH are well padded with quite a stiff foam, I have never had an issue with them.

Matthew

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011 »

I've been considering the following around the 1000g mark:
OMM Villain - I'm sure you've seen one of these before  :D
Golite Jam - somebody on here has the smaller Peak
Mountain Hardware Super Scrambler *

I have an OMM Villain (which I got from RedLeader, see his comments about "cheesewire" to know why ;)) and also own a GoLite Quest for longer trips.  Both packs are fantastic, but I've found the OMM definitely works best with lighter loads.

Kat bought a GoLite Jam from "Bob's Bargain Bin" on Backpacking Light.  Think it was the only one left and she got it for the bargain price of £40 (RRP £100)!  They still have a couple of GoLite Peaks left at £50, but having seen the Jam it's about as small as I'd want to go for a multi-day trip.  Very similar in size to the Villain.  Peak would be perfect for bivvy nights though!

MH Scrambler is currently selling for £40 (£20 off) in Cotswold sale.  Is that the same pack you are looking at Craig?

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011 »

MH Scrambler is currently selling for £40 (£20 off) in Cotswold sale.  Is that the same pack you are looking at Craig?

No, that's only a 28L daypack, and I am happy with the Haglofs Tight in that role. This is the one.

*yay - just got that text/link thing to work!
Craig
-----------------------

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011 »

That Super Scrambler is a nice looking pack, first time I've seen it.

Actually, Matthew hasn't mentioned the greatest feature on his MH ruck yet... the integral beer top opener :D

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011 »

Good call Jonny lol

At that price I think I will buy one of those scramblers

Matthew

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]