Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: First solo summit camping  (Read 6026 times)

Scribble

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
First solo summit camping
« on: April 25, 2010 »

I need suggestions of where to do my first solo overnight summit in the mournes. I will be using a vango tempest or will pitching be a problem as I am thinking about one of these bivvys you all rave about .I will be doing this around 15th may so thinking bivy will be better option .
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
Re: First solo summit camping
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010 »

There's a lovely wee peak called Doam right in the middle that has room for a tent on top (I've heard - from Chris).

That's where I am gonna do mine, it's the nicest shaped wee peak, not too high either.

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010 »

Cheers will look into that . Will you be in a tent or bivvy ?? I still not made mymind up but I suppose it's what the weather will allow me to do .

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010 »

a bivy and a tarp I think - depends on the weather too I think.

As only room for one tent up there we'll have to make sure we both don't head up on the same night!

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010 »

There's a lovely wee peak called Doam right in the middle that has room for a tent on top (I've heard - from Chris).

That's where I am gonna do mine, it's the nicest shaped wee peak, not too high either.

I don't remember saying that, better set the record straight incase you head up and there isn't enough room to swing a cat! Doan would be a little sweet spot tho if it worked out.

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010 »

I will have to go up first for a looksee just to be sure . Feeling nervous already about it  but it has to be done or I will regret it . Does taking your dog still be classed as solo :) . I was thinking of just bringing my tempest flysheet to save weight . Would that still be suitable

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010 »

I don't remember saying that, better set the record straight incase you head up and there isn't enough room to swing a cat! Doan would be a little sweet spot tho if it worked out.

ok - it must have been post bernargh delerium that has me misquoting you! 
Suppose it's part of the fun to get up there and realise - it's not a perfect spot!

There's a large pond west of it, has a big bit of grass around it, almost looks like a section of a golf course u could use - sorry this is a bit vauge!

Anyway, depends, perhaps bernagh is a better spot anyways as it's summit is roomy and has natural shelter from the wind...

ChuckMcB

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010 »

There's more than enough room, on Doan if you drop down just a bit from the summit towards the Ben crom/Silent Valley side, would give you a bit more shelter (depending on where the wind is coming from). Would agree an advance recce is a must. Personally I would drop down to shores of Lough Shannagh (the pond that MikeD mentioned) if it was a bit hairy up there, 'tis a lovely (if sometimes busy) spot:

(The above pic looks towards Doan from Lough Shannagh)

(ps. Dog defiantly counts as solo IMHO...you just need to figure out how to stop him/her wandering off doing the night..and on getting their lead tangled up with your tent/tarp poles)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010 by Chuck »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010 »

Suppose it also depends on how far you want to walk and where you are comfortable starting (if you have to leave a car overnight or get a bus).

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010 »

Suppose it also depends on how far you want to walk and where you are comfortable starting (if you have to leave a car overnight or get a bus).

don't mind the walking but it's the leaving the car is my priority as I hear of cars getting wrecked by the little hoods. I could get the bus from banbridge or even beg for a lift . Cheers guys for all the advice

ChuckMcB

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010 »

Well that kinda rules out Doan/Lough Shannagh. Hmm...unless you park in Kilkeel and get a taxi up, couldn't be that expensive. Google Maps has it at about 5 miles to the bottom of Banns Road, which would then take you to Lough Shannagh and up to Doan.

Option two: how about parking in the 'secure' parking at Meelmore Lodge (either park in the main car park...or if noone's about to tell you off park around the back of the toilet block right beside the cafe, so you car's not visible from the road), that drops you right at the bottom of trassey track, then you have the pick of the summits on that side of the mournes...and warm showers avaliable when you get back to the car.  ;D

Option three: park in Newcastle, taxi to say Bloody Bridge. Chimney Rock Mountain gives you some cracking views, (but I've not looked at it for over night stay, anyone done it?) Would also give you the option of doing Donard on day two ;) Even walk back to the car down via Glen River

(edit: better google maps link)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010 by Chuck »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010 »

Meelmore Lodge (£4 per night) and Donard Car Park are the ones we would use the most. Carrick Little is a nightmare as is Crocknafeola . I have a phone number of a taxi service that we have used that took us from Carrick Little to Meelmore for £9. If anyone wants it just PM me.

We headed for Bearnagh from Meelmore for our first summit camp. It's a great peak with awesome views but isn't too far or hard far for a first time.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]