Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Coast of ireland  (Read 45582 times)

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
Coast of ireland
« on: August 09, 2009 »

Im going to do the coast of ireland and try live of the sea and land to get food, im going to start at Befast then east coast south then west. I have yet to get tent sleeping bag knife fishing rod etc, when i get all my stuff ill have to do short trips to get use to living of the land, then hopefully one day do the dream, the whole coast !!!! But i am all ears if anyone can hep me in any way, regards Dave.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009 by wolflarson »
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
Re: Coast of ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009 »

Hi wolflarson,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will get plenty of advice here and unless your going solo I don't think you would be short of volunteers for the pre-trip training or even the full adventure  !!!!

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009 »

Hi wolflarson,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will get plenty of advice here and unless your going solo I don't think you would be short of volunteers for the pre-trip training or even the full adventure  !!!!
What time of the year do you intend to go?

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009 »

Welcome mate that sounds first class. A real adventure.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009 »

Sounds like a great idea. I'd be game for some of the training sessions. Although I can't catch fish for toffee!

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009 »

I think it would be very difficult to live off the land while travelling around Ireland's coast. I bet it wouldn't be quite the fun adventure it sounds once you had been at it for a while.  The romance of the trip seems great, but the reality may be different. You could not shoot game as you cannot back pack with a gun, you cannot trap game except with a free running snare so that's meat out of the equation, lots of rivers are now controlled by angling clubs, you need permission from land owners to go on their land to gather plants etc etc etc. Some staples would be essential, eg, rice, pasta etc. Fish stocks are not what they once were, safe water is also difficult, though there should be plenty of opportunities to fill at taps etc. Good luck with it though I would advise caution.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009 »

To be honest its a long way off as i have a lot to learn, im on NI WILD to find out as much info as possible. I still need all my equipment, from a tent to a knife, so im on NI WILD to find out what brands are good. Once ive got my camping and survival gear fishing rod etc, im going to do some practice runs here and there, then when i feel i have the konwledge, skill, fittness, tools Maybe turn my dream into reality. Could be 1-2 year away but it will be worth the wait. I want to know my island, before maybe one day i can go across the water for a wee trip. It would be nice to life forever and stay 30 years of age, so i could do all the worlds coasts. So im all ears to any advice and info people can help me with. Thank you all for reading my errand.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009 by wolflarson »

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009 »

To be honest its a long way off as i have a lot to learn, im on NI WILD to find out as much info as possible. I still need all my equipment, from a tent to a knife, so im on NI WILD to find out what brands are good. Once ive got my camping and survival gear fishing rod etc, im going to do some practice runs here and there, then when i feel i have the konwledge, skill, fittness, tools. Maybe it could be a year or two to turn my dream into reality. I want to know my island before maybe i can go across the water next time. It would be nice to life forever and stay 30 years of age ;-)  so im all ear to any advice and info people can help me with. Thank you all for reading my errand.

That is a very sensible approach. A trip like that would need some serious planning and thought. I'm sure that you will find plenty of people on here willing to help though.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009 »

Has anyone been away camping for a long time ??

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009 »

5 days my longest camp but it wasn't wild camp.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009 »

I don't know the Ilse of Man can get pretty wild ;D
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009 »

Thats true 100,000 bikers can be pretty rough. And a coast to coast walk just for the crack. ;D

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009 »

I know you guys are prob sick of me banging on but if its a solo trip your planning you maight want to think about the argos pro action, this seems to be were its in its element (coast to coasts, long tips etc) cheap as chips for your 1st tent and at 25quid it doesnt matter if you wreck it. or else

Paul

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009 »

Sounds like a worthwhile venture to me. If you are planning to do it within the next 1-2 years you will need plenty of practice. im well up for giving you any help advice that i can. It could be done though you will need an indepth knowledge of wild food and you will have to plan your route carefully. Give me a shout if i can help out mate.

Paul

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009 »

Thank you very much all, Iwas going to buy a knife (mora clipper) £10......What do you all think ??
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]