Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: iPhone updates  (Read 4830 times)

Scribble

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
iPhone updates
« on: June 24, 2010 »

I updated my iPhone software lastnight and amongst other things the coolest new thing it does is pinpoints on a map where you took a photo :) I have no idea about technology but I think that's pretty good . My iPlod  photos I took last wk are also done  :o

Only draw back I can see is that apple and big brother have been keeping track of me  :-\
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010 by andy »
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

ChuckMcB

Re: iPhone updates
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010 »

hmm..Geo-tagging 'should' only be possible if you phone or camera has some sort of GPS chip in it to inject co-ords. into the image's exif/meta data. I think I remember you saying that your iPhone doesn't have GPS...does your camera have GPS in it? (if it does then Flicr should have shown that the images are geo-tagged already)

ps. apple, BB and your mobile phone company have already got tabs on you c/o cell tower triangulation

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010 »

Nope I was wrong it does have gps but no compass , you would be an apple dunker anyways :) never thought about the triangulation thingy and keeping track , think I would remember Jack Bauer using this tactic  ;D

ChuckMcB

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010 »

Handy enough....but how was it able to tag your iPlod photos (did you use your iphone for them photos?)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010 »

Smartphones will use cell tower triangulation for whenever GPS is switched off. It's suprisingly accurate and beyond your control - as long as your mobile is receiving a signal, your provider know where your ass is! Personally I keep my mobile wrapped in tinfoil - don't want the man knowing where I am. I'm off to buy another copy of Catcher in the Rye now..

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010 »

Chuck yip I used my iPhone for a few never knew it used gps when taking photos

J you seriously would wrap tinfoil round your phone ???? Would there not be a weight issue in doing that  :P

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010 »

I've an iPhone 3G so updated it to iOS4.  They've held back quite a few features on the 3G compared to the 3GS and the new iPhone 4, but its not a bit of wonder as my 3G is struggling to run the new software.  Things like web browsing are far faster but basic tasks like typing a text message have got very slow and unresponsive.  Less than two years old and its already struggling to run the latest software - technology eh ;)  The new feature of viewing your photos on a map is one of my favourites though, even though it highlights that I'm not overly well travelled :D

Wont be paying for an iPhone 4 though.  HTC Desire looks much more, errr, desireable!

ChuckMcB

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010 »

Wont be paying for an iPhone 4 though.  HTC Desire looks much more, errr, desireable!
Yup, if I had a tonne of cash (or willing to enter into a 24 month contract...and happy with mobile phone companies get rid of their 'unlimited' data plans) I would be heading for a Desire. I've had a couple of HTCs, they are excellent, still use one for web browsing/Shoutcast streaming in the smallest room :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010 »

TMI there fella ;)

I've had a couple of HTCs, they are excellent, still use one for web browsing/Shoutcast streaming in the smallest room :)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010 »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010 »

I just checked out the HTC Desire and it looks pretty blummin awesome. Can get some great deals - T-Mobile £19.99 + 18 mths @ £25 for unlimited txts+internet+200mins.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010 »

I was looking at Vodafone for the Desire, although I've no idea what their network is like?  I've been with O2 for years, but recently their network has really gone downhill.  Just too many teenagers using YouTube on their iPhones that have ground their network to a halt!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]