Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Float Fishing  (Read 10075 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Float Fishing
« on: July 26, 2010 »

After some unsuccessful fishing with spinners and lures from the rocks, I've been thinking of giving float fishing a blast.  Hoping it will mean I lose less tackle as I'm not constantly retrieving through rocks and sea weed.  Just wondering how best to setup a rig for float fishing?  I've found a couple of diagrams on the web which I assume would do the job:

I take it the difference in the two setups is the floats, with the line running through the centre of the float in the first setup but being attached to an eye on the float in the second image?  Also, I assume the weights used are drilled through the centre so the line runs through the middle of them?  So are the beads, float and weight all able to freely move up and down the line, and the stop knot sets the depth at which the hook will sink to? 

Last question; I've heard that Mackerel tend to be running around about 10ft.  So presumably the stop knot needs to be 10ft from the hook?  Silly question but I'm guessing you arent going to try casting with 10ft of rig hanging from the tip of your rod... so can you reel the line right in so just the top bead/float is at the tip of the rod?  I only have a wee 7ft rod so the stop knot would likely be on the reel when I go to cast, will it still cast okay?

Hope those questions make sense, sorry there are so many of them but there should definitely be a website called "embarrassing questions you always wanted to ask about fishing, but were too afraid to ask.com" :D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Float Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010 »

I'm a bit in the dark about this too but as far as I'm aware you use en elastic band to stop the float sliding up too far and it's small enough to be reeled in a bit.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010 »

Sounds about right, will give the elastic band a go!  Well I'm going to try float fishing next time I go out, although will be buying my bait before hand rather than catching it ;)  May bring the Thermos and a seat with me to stop me getting restless!

sparkosone

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010 »

i use silicone stop beads, come in packs of 10 easy to put on and can be reeled right on to reel and easy to cast with, tho i do find u have to adjust them quite often but are very handy.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010 »

Thanks spark.  I had a look for silicone stop beads in my local tackle shop but they appeared to be sold out.  They had some kinda braided red thread on a needle though for using as stops, kinda looked like pre-tied stop knots?  I've ended up going for the rubber band option in the meantime - looks a bit crude but should do the job!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]