Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Poll

Rams Island May - Date Vote (avoiding 5th & 6th)

12th & 13th
- 3 (75%)
19th & 20th
- 1 (25%)
26th & 27th
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: May 01, 2018

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm thinking of Rams Island in May.....who's in?  (Read 8525 times)

Heggs

So, I'm thinking of a Rams Island trip in May.....who's fancies it? Let me know below and a give me a few suggestions for a date (avoid the 5th/6th plz)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Re: I'm thinking of Rams Island in May.....who's in?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018 »

I may be up for this, I'll wait and see the date and let you know for definite closer to it.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Rugged Track

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018 »

I would be interested as I miss the other ones and would like to go.....again it depends on the date! 

Heggs

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018 »

No worries guys, stick a date up that suits and we'll go with the majority yeah?

Heggs

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018 »

Haha, finally found a reason to add a poll - cast your votes now!! (hopefully it works lol)

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018 »

Ha ha  :) at the minute no date suits me so I'm just gonna go with the flow and hopefully I can make it.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018 »

I'd be interested as long as it's not one of the May bank hols. I'll check tonight what suits.

Heggs

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018 »

Good stuff

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018 »

12&13th for me. Is anyone bringing kids, if so I'm a +1

Heggs

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018 »

No worries. If kids are going, I could have 4 with me lol

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018 »

Hi, I am new here and can't figure out how to start a new post, so I hope you won't mind if I jump in here.
Probably wouldn't be able to make a May camp out as my son has youngest has cub scout camp and the oldest will have exams,  but I am very interested in this camp. I have two boys, ages 9 and 13, and would have a dog any place I go as well. He would be kept on leash around other animals and people. He likes most dogs, preferably l large ones and loves people but can make a nuisance of himself.

This island sounds brilliant, but I was wondering how it was works. Can people just show up anytime and camp?
I don't mind paying to camp, but prefer more isolated areas, like as many trees as possible and definitely don't want to end up at a party site. Unfortunately though, my mobility is limited. I am determined not to allow it to spoil the children's childhood, but I can not hike in anyplace, need someplace we can pull the car up to, my husband and sons can set up camp and I can stay near the camp fire. This is another reason I prefer isolated areas so I can hobble about, trip and fall, or even crawl into a tent without making a spectacle of myself. I am. Other sure if cars go on the ferry to this island or if you need to pack everything in.

Even if this doesn't suit, I would love suggestions for farmers who might rent a patch of fairly private land with car access. Pretty open on location. Would ideally like to be able to light a fire, both my husband and myself are able to build and maintain a fire safely and even the boys would know how.

NIPupper

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018 »

hi, welcome, rams island doesn't have any roads so no cars and unfortunately no dogs are aloud. i'm sure you can just show up and camp. it's not a very big island so you wouldn't have far to walk from the pier.

As for car camping places in the mourne's,

one could be happy valley (meelmore meelbeg valley). the car park is no camping but i've seen people camping by the river only 50 yards from the car park, duke of Edinburgh etc. it tends to be quite busy in summer thou, as do all the mourne car parks.

another place is Carrick Little, near slieve binnian, you can pay to camp at carrick plant hire up the track from carrick little car park, not sure about camp fires, there is also a nice cafe on the lane to, again quite busy especially at weekends.

meelmore lodge has paid camping but can be very busy and noisy at weekends.

i'm sure a farmer would not mind to let you camp but you'd need to ask around.

cheers

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018 »

Hi Margaret, welcome to the forum. Here's the contact detals for the Island Warrior boat that runs the trips over to Rams Island to make a booking.

https://goo.gl/Nk1h8n

You can park your car at the Marina which is locked over-night for free and secure parking. The boat can hold about a dozen people (maybe more) and is £10 per adult and £5 per child which you pay on the day. When it arrives at Rams Island, everyone's rucksacks and various kit are loaded onto a quad bike with trailers and it'll be driven up to the camp-site, which is a 5 minute walk away. There's another camp-spot which is even closer! It's an easy camp and really accessible.

Here's a video of a recent trip to give you an idea of what the place looks like: https://goo.gl/uqospg

NIPupper

• Top Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018 »

great video, really gives a sense of the island, i emailed the ferry man and he said no dogs, so you'll have to get a friend to look after the pouch for your island trip. enjoy!.

Heggs

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018 »

Great responses guys  :)
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]