Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Camping Stove Vs Campfire  (Read 24147 times)

thatshandy86

Re: Camping Stove Vs Campfire
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014 »

Thanks polrodger. 
That, to be fair looks to be near enough the same as the Whisperlite. At a quick glance on google for a comparison it seems the Dragonfly has a benefit of full range of heating control over the whisperlite, but is 'too noisy'?
Everyones opinion on noise is different, in your opinion is it 'too' loud, or just louder than the average?

thatshandy86

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014 »

With regards to the maintenance and cleaning, would that not be much the same for a gas stove, considering they use the same mechanism and setup?

Gas stoves need little to no looking after, unless you happen to spill stuff on them just a quick wipe off is all. If you ever pack them away wet then just be sure to unpack them and dry and treat once home and your fine. All they are anyway is just an elaborate valve with an atomiser on the end so there is not much to fail.

Expense-wise, cheaper is always better. but I don't want to be buying too cheap where 'you get what you pay for' comes into effect, and it's just wasted money.

If you are using gas then you can get a stove for as little as £10-£15 that will happily last you at least a year or two of average use with sensible looking after. At that rate you need to get at least 10 years out of the msr with no part replacements to be breaking even. No doubt though the cheap gas stoves happily last longer and someone here may well be able to confirm that.

Meth stoves again will be cost effective since the only part you need to spend real cash on is a good quality burner base, Pot/pans etc you can use anything you like from pound shop tin foil rubbish all the way to diamond encrusted titanium. It means they are probably the most flexible system as you can just use parts specific to your own needs and finances.

I would consider a cheaper gas stove, purely on the expense and that they're more windproof than the meth burners.  Its just a pity that most aren't a self contained pot/pan/burner combo that packed neatly.
Going the gas route, i'd definitely consider that Vango Compact RedLeader posted.

Decisions decisions...

specimanYak

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014 »

The gas stove i've been using is the Jetboil Zip, it's a self contained unit where everything packs into the main cup, including the gas canister. Mine came with an adjustable pot support so i can use the pot from a Trangia Mini on it as well if needed.

http://www.jetboil.com/

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/jetboil-zip-cooking-system-97110088?id_colour=124

thatshandy86

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2014 »

I saw the Jetboils in there specimanYak, i was a bit put off though as I was told for the most part the jetboils are solely compatible with the mug that came packed with it.
The salesman also told me it's really only useful for cooking boil in the bag meals, whereas i'd like the flexibility of being able to use a small pan over the flame.

Have you tried a pan on it? If so, how does it cook?

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014 »

Thanks polrodger. 
That, to be fair looks to be near enough the same as the Whisperlite. At a quick glance on google for a comparison it seems the Dragonfly has a benefit of full range of heating control over the whisperlite, but is 'too noisy'?
Everyones opinion on noise is different, in your opinion is it 'too' loud, or just louder than the average?

SOUNDS LIKE A JET ENGINE..........BRILLIANT :D
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

thatshandy86

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014 »

SOUNDS LIKE A JET ENGINE..........BRILLIANT :D

How do you want your steak?

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014 »

If it comes with the adjustable pot stand, or you buy one separately, you'll be able to fit most pots or pans onto it. I mostly use it to boil water for tea, then use what water is left for cous-cous and Not-Dogs. The beauty of the system is its compactness and everything's together when it comes time to cook, just add water.  :)

I saw the Jetboils in there specimanYak, i was a bit put off though as I was told for the most part the jetboils are solely compatible with the mug that came packed with it.
The salesman also told me it's really only useful for cooking boil in the bag meals, whereas i'd like the flexibility of being able to use a small pan over the flame.

Have you tried a pan on it? If so, how does it cook?

thatshandy86

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014 »

If it comes with the adjustable pot stand, or you buy one separately, you'll be able to fit most pots or pans onto it. I mostly use it to boil water for tea, then use what water is left for cous-cous and Not-Dogs. The beauty of the system is its compactness and everything's together when it comes time to cook, just add water.  :)

...but, as with every decision in life, one must consider the bacon.
Will it support bacon.
typical fuel pack, what is the Bacon Per Cannister  (bpc).

These are highly important factors.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2014 »

...but, as with every decision in life, one must consider the bacon.
Will it support bacon.
typical fuel pack, what is the Bacon Per Cannister  (bpc).

These are highly important factors.

If you use a small gas stove you can just skewer your bacon of a stick then hold the gas can in your hand like a blow torch. Turn the heat down and start sizzling.

thatshandy86

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2014 »

If you use a small gas stove you can just skewer your bacon of a stick then hold the gas can in your hand like a blow torch. Turn the heat down and start sizzling.

Genius! :D

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014 »

Just a quick word of warning about the trangia triangle.

I used one of these on a very windy day in the Mournes and had a nasty flare up. I was also using a tin foil windscreen to protect the gap between the triangle and the pot. I think the huge airflow into the bottom burner combined with the windshield preventing heat escaping caused the burner to overheat and therefore made the problem worse. The short grass below the burner then also caught fire which made the problem even more serious. Luckily I was not using the triangle in my porch.

I'm sure that this would not have happened with a standard trangia windshield but this experience has demonstrated to me that even trangias should never be used close to a tent. Next time I'll probably not use the foil windshield or just remove it at the first sign of trouble  to let the heat escape. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]