Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Rucksack Storage Bottom Areas  (Read 7359 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Rucksack Storage Bottom Areas
« on: January 12, 2010 »

What does everyone use the zippy area at the bottom of their rucksack for?

I can never really see the point of it as once you fill the rest of the bag it's a bugger to get stuff back into the bottom again. I'd really rather have one big storage space so cram my stuff in.

MG1

• Hero Poster
Re: Rucksack Storage Bottom Areas
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010 »

Why dont you put stuff in the bottom first?
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010 »

Why dont you put stuff in the bottom first?

Getting it in first is fine. It's once you've used whatever it is and are in a forest trying to lever it back in that the problem starts.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010 »

If your talking about what I think you are then its for your sleeping bag. Put it in there and you can unzip and pull it out without having to turf everythin out of your bag an then repack it,

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010 »

I don't have one on any of the bags i'm using at the min.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010 »

As far as I know they're supposed to be for your sleeping bag but whenever I'm using my sleeping bag everything else is coming out anyways  ???

My Deuteur  pack had an internal zip that let you close off the bottom so you can make your pack into 2 compartments or leave it unzipped for one large volume. I ended up just cutting it out as the duel compartment is just too impractical, in my eyes, and steals come useful volume of your sack. If you don't like it why not just cut it out? save you some gramage while you're at it?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010 »

As far as I know they're supposed to be for your sleeping bag but whenever I'm using my sleeping bag everything else is coming out anyways  ???

My Deuteur  pack had an internal zip that let you close off the bottom so you can make your pack into 2 compartments or leave it unzipped for one large volume. I ended up just cutting it out as the duel compartment is just too impractical, in my eyes, and steals come useful volume of your sack. If you don't like it why not just cut it out? save you some gramage while you're at it?

Think I might do. What sort of pack do you use?

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010 »

It's a Deuter Futura Pro 38. Nice enough bag with an "air contact" system to help slow down sweaty back syndrome. Its not light at just under 1.7 kg but all ventilating packs suffer from weight problems.

My main gripe (except for the weight) is the lack of hip belt pockets, which as I've said before are a feature you miss once you've had them. After removing the inner zip, I'm thinking of taking a bit more off it, like the some of the compression straps, the useless waterproof zipped compartment, lowering the mesh side pouches as they're a bit hard to use and maybe taking the lid off, but am a bit worried that I'll miss these 

It's 38+5 so in total should be 43, that was big enough for the Ulster Way, and just about dealt with the re-supplies that I picked up on the way. It seemed to be able to carry more kit than my mates berghaus freeflow 35+8.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010 »

It's a Deuter Futura Pro 38. Nice enough bag with an "air contact" system to help slow down sweaty back syndrome. Its not light at just under 1.7 kg but all ventilating packs suffer from weight problems.

My main gripe (except for the weight) is the lack of hip belt pockets, which as I've said before are a feature you miss once you've had them. After removing the inner zip, I'm thinking of taking a bit more off it, like the some of the compression straps, the useless waterproof zipped compartment, lowering the mesh side pouches as they're a bit hard to use and maybe taking the lid off, but am a bit worried that I'll miss these 

It's 38+5 so in total should be 43, that was big enough for the Ulster Way, and just about dealt with the re-supplies that I picked up on the way. It seemed to be able to carry more kit than my mates berghaus freeflow 35+8.

I have a Berghaus Airflow 35+8 and it wouldn't carry the wifes necessities for an evening out ;) The airflow system makes it too restrictive and hard to pack plus the side pockets are pretty useless. Pretty comfy tho.

I'd really like a bag where it's possible (without being a chimp) to get your water bottle out of a side pocket without taking the bag off. Or maybe my arms are just short!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010 »

Aye, the depth of the Berghaus freeflow make them pretty crap when you're trying to pack anything into them, the deuter's ventilation is shallower and doesn't suffer too badly, I could pack my laser comp in it vertically without any problems, something which I wouldn't like to try with the free flow. The freeflow also felt really uncomfortable and like it was digging into my back when I had it on, it would have crippled me if I had to wear if for more than an hour. My mate wasn't overly enjoying the sensation either, you must have a different version, or it just fitted the both of us really badly?

The OMM and inov8 packs are the best I've seen for pocket accessibility, and are generally very well designed packs. I could just about get the water bottle out of the deuter without cramping my arms.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010 »

I hated the freeflow at first but it feels fine now. I've only used it for day walks though.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]