Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NOT so alone in the wild  (Read 18765 times)

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
NOT so alone in the wild
« on: September 20, 2009 »

Once again, a TV programe isn't telling us the whole story. We only get shown what the producers/makers want us to see.
Tin Cup lake, where "Alone in the wild" is made has it's own fishing/holiday lodge and is well used. Visitors include Chris Tarrent etc. A little bit different to the picture painted by C4. Any wonder he didn't shoot the Moose. The folks in the lodge just up the lake would have seen him. It would seem like we are being fed fantasy TV.  Here's a link to the Lodge's website.
http://www.canadiansky.co.uk/Tincup_Wilderness_Lodge-hotel-573.htm

Paul

Re: NOT so alone in the wild
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009 »

If anyone has the recent episode taped have a look at his first glimpse of the lake, when he zooms in the camera you can clearly see a large white lodge in the middle of the picture on the shore of the lake. Another channel four lets lie to the public rip off programme.

Paul

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009 »

well spotted guys, looks like my wild camp on bernagh wasnt so wild now i could see analong from the summit. they porb had food and taps down there. give the guy a break.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009 »

LOL. have we burst you bubble?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009 »

lol no, it just seems like you wont get off this guys back. So what if there is a lodge thing at the other side of the lake, did you not see the lenght of it? In this day and age its going to be almost impossible to be totally isolated for hundreds of miles in all directions even in the arcrtic or the desert. as far as this guy is concerned he is alone, no one to talk to, or relate to. most of us go nuts if we're in the house by ourselves for one day and we have tv's, radio's, phones, neighbours etc so maybe you could stop picking holes in everything this guy does and accept that he had the balls to do something none of us will ever do.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009 »

I'm a bit divided over it. On one hand he seems to be making a bit of a balls of it but on the other you have to give him credit for trying.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009 »

lol no, it just seems like you wont get off this guys back. So what if there is a lodge thing at the other side of the lake, did you not see the lenght of it? In this day and age its going to be almost impossible to be totally isolated for hundreds of miles in all directions even in the arcrtic or the desert. as far as this guy is concerned he is alone, no one to talk to, or relate to. most of us go nuts if we're in the house by ourselves for one day and we have tv's, radio's, phones, neighbours etc so maybe you could stop picking holes in everything this guy does and accept that he had the balls to do something none of us will ever do.

I'm just very sceptical Chris. They are trying to tell us he is totally isolated, yet he has a crew just 10 minutes away by motorboat. He climbs up a tree and shouts a lot, tells us that there isn't any point of shouting as no-one can hear him, yet there was probably  quite a few who did hear him. He's fishing with a rod and reel when he should have had night lines out , he's telling us that he is starving, which should constitute a proper survival situation, yet he will not imploy survival techniques as he's very close to somewhere where he can get help and he knows it. I'm picking holes here because I believe that we are being deliberately misled by C4 as they chase ratings. And don't be too sure that none of us will ever do something like that. Plans for a Yukon trip are already under way for 2012. Some of us have spent days without all the supplies normally carried, with only a knife, a cooking pot and the clothes we stand up in, with all food being collected in the wild. I admit, not weeks, but then he did have everything he needed to sustain himself for weeks, including food.

Belfastman1958

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009 »

I must admit, although I love the show I have to agree with Gary on this one. I thought i saw a few "continuity errors" also.

Did he have a different belt on his trousers between the first and second shows when he showed his weight loss?

Still, a good show otherwise. Scenery is fantastic.

Alan.

Paul

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009 »

The show seems to be having a good effect as its prompting a lot of discussion. It is not nice to be deliberatley mislead but that is what tv seems to do frequently. It is the era of reality tv i for one would far rather watch someone pretending to be in a survival situation than the other dribble that is being shown. Dont to be sure chris about none of us ever doing this, i for one would rather be doing what he is doing than sitting at home or going out to the pub, it dosent take balls to do this it takes time and money and if i had both i would be there right now and i know others who would join me. The sad thing is he is making so many silly mistakes but as Gary says i also tend to think he knows help is only a stones throw across the lake so hasn't fully acclimatized himself to his surroundings or accepted his situation hence why he may be having mood swings. He seems a right sort of fella and i think with the right training he probably could do this for real, he would need to learn to drop a pile of kit though which he seems very dependant on. Im not getting at the chap himself its the programme and he is the actor in it i have nothing personal against him i think this is probably the same for the other posters as well. (I am very envious though i would love to be in his shoes right now!!) ;D

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009 »

The show seems to be having a good effect as its prompting a lot of discussion. It is not nice to be deliberatley mislead but that is what tv seems to do frequently. It is the era of reality tv i for one would far rather watch someone pretending to be in a survival situation than the other dribble that is being shown. Dont to be sure chris about none of us ever doing this, i for one would rather be doing what he is doing than sitting at home or going out to the pub, it dosent take balls to do this it takes time and money and if i had both i would be there right now and i know others who would join me. The sad thing is he is making so many silly mistakes but as Gary says i also tend to think he knows help is only a stones throw across the lake so hasn't fully acclimatized himself to his surroundings or accepted his situation hence why he may be having mood swings. He seems a right sort of fella and i think with the right training he probably could do this for real, he would need to learn to drop a pile of kit though which he seems very dependant on. Im not getting at the chap himself its the programme and he is the actor in it i have nothing personal against him i think this is probably the same for the other posters as well. (I am very envious though i would love to be in his shoes right now!!) ;D

Well said paul, you have summed it up.

The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009 »

Dont forget !

Thur 24th, channel 4

Alone in the wild  :-\

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009 »

Once again, a TV programe isn't telling us the whole story. We only get shown what the producers/makers want us to see.
Tin Cup lake, where "Alone in the wild" is made has it's own fishing/holiday lodge and is well used. Visitors include Chris Tarrent etc. A little bit different to the picture painted by C4. Any wonder he didn't shoot the Moose. The folks in the lodge just up the lake would have seen him. It would seem like we are being fed fantasy TV.  Here's a link to the Lodge's website.
http://www.canadiansky.co.uk/Tincup_Wilderness_Lodge-hotel-573.htm

Wonder was there anything useful in the hut, tin of beans or something ?

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009 »

lol course it was ffs , just like that eejit bear grills or whatever hes called. the whistle was well and truly blown on him wasnt it?

and whats the point in eating those snakes and frogs and other wee criters? none other than `look at me im on tv shocking people`.then off to his comfy hotel after shooting stops lol.

Paul

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009 »

lol course it was ffs , just like that eejit bear grills or whatever hes called. the whistle was well and truly blown on him wasnt it?

and whats the point in eating those snakes and frogs and other wee criters? none other than `look at me im on tv shocking people`.then off to his comfy hotel after shooting stops lol.

LOL!!! ;D

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010 »

Bear is now sticking things where the sun dont shine for TV rating !!   :-[
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]