Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Testing out new gear  (Read 3840 times)

clairebear

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
Testing out new gear
« on: February 10, 2013 »

Trassy track today to test out my new Rab neo hardshell and softshell photon also a Rab.  Fit excellent and I have to say I wish I'd have shelled out sooner than this.  Had a bit of birthday money so it was a easy decision. 

Also had new mountain equipment trousers on the test which now made me decide I need a proper pair of waterproof trousers.  I hate the feeling of them but I know there are some good all in oners so to speak which appeal to me a lot more.

Any suggestions on trousers that are waterproof and keep you warm but don't break the bank would be appreciated.

I find it hard to get a good fit on jackets but this new Rab is the trick as it has a little stretch in it so ideal as you don't feel stuck in it.

I love birthdays especially when you get new gear!

Trassy river today hopefully attached, was so swollen me and the pup had to cross fields rather than risk it.

10 feb 13  trassy track by clairebearNI, on Flickr

Typo-On

• Top Poster
Re: Testing out new gear
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013 »

Im a Rab fan, I like how they fit ( although my windshirt could be a size smaller atm )

Hows the Photon? I really fancy one..

My preference is light trousers with if required waterproofs on top. This helps me regulate temperature better as I can be as warm or cool as I want. Ive never had really cold or warm legs with this arrangement so it obviously works for me. Another bonus with the light trousers is if they get damp from the rain/condensation under the waterproofs they dry really quickly.

I use Montane Terra's and Berghaus Deluge (which are on sale at go outdoors atm half price £25) I would like to upgrade to lighter waterproofs but cant justify it atm as they work really well.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013 by Typo-On »
'Why are you wearing your pajamas?'
'They're not pajamas! It's my warm-up suit'
'Why do you need warming up for?'
'For doing stuff'
'What kind of stuff?'
'Super-cool stuff you wouldn't understand'
'Like sleeping?'

Typo-On

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013 »

I added an edit above (incase you missed it, I see your reading the thread as I edited it)
'For doing stuff'
'What kind of stuff?'
'Like sleeping?'

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013 »

The photon was excellent kept me warm but not overheating when climbing, because it has a hood it did get a little wet as I had the hardshell hood down at times.  I guess I'd have to try it out without the shell over it to see how it fared.

The fit is nice, not too short and keeps the draught out.

Cheers for the trouser update, is it not too annoying g taking them off and on or do u tend to keep on in winter?

Typo-On

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013 »

I only really wear them if its raining or at a cold windy camp. They zip up the entire length of each leg so are easy to get on and off over your boots if its raining on and off
'For doing stuff'
'What kind of stuff?'
'Like sleeping?'

wmoulds

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013 »

Im a Rab fan, I like how they fit ( although my windshirt could be a size smaller atm )

Hows the Photon? I really fancy one..

My preference is light trousers with if required waterproofs on top. This helps me regulate temperature better as I can be as warm or cool as I want. Ive never had really cold or warm legs with this arrangement so it obviously works for me. Another bonus with the light trousers is if they get damp from the rain/condensation under the waterproofs they dry really quickly.

I use Montane Terra's and Berghaus Deluge (which are on sale at go outdoors atm half price £25) I would like to upgrade to lighter waterproofs but cant justify it atm as they work really well.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said. The best lightwave waterproof trousers I have ever bought are berghaus paclite pants (gore-tex), I got mine on deal but their price seems to fluxuate depending on stock, demand etc.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T S Eliot

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013 »

Happy belated birthday clairebear, you did really well with all the birthday goodies, RAB gear is fantastic quality.

I'd agree with Typo about the temp control with waterproofs, i just got the Berghaus Deluge trousers at £25 from Amazon (arrived on sat) and can't fault them, they zip and button up to the thigh which makes it extremely easy to get on and off and fit over the chunkiest of boots.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]