Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Iconic Mournes  (Read 3646 times)

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
Iconic Mournes
« on: January 05, 2013 »

Hi,

Working on some pieces for a website I run in my spare time and just wondering what people reckon are the iconic mountains in the Mourne Range.

I done this piece on Binnian which for me, is one of the iconic Mournes. http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/walking-irelands-iconic-mountains-number-3-slieve-binnian/

I'd like to feature another 1 or 2 of the Mourne Mountains, was thinking Slieve Bearnagh has to be in there and perhaps Slieve Donard given that it's the highest in Ulster.

Would be interested in hearing any opinions on this.

Paul.

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Iconic Mournes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013 »

Bernagh is one of my favourites along with Doan, the views from there are spectacular. I also think Lamagan is pretty Iconic too.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013 »

Nooooooooo, Lamagan is awful  >:( 

Doan & Bearnagh are great though.
think outside, no box required

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013 »

With the right light, Lamagan can look fantastic when driving that road up towards Carrick Little car-park - kind of like a giant speckled egg!

Agreed re. Bearnagh - I'll definitely include that in the series of articles. Any suggestions as regards the best route up Bearnagh - been on it a few times but normally as part of a circuit (of the wall or on the seven sevens). The one time I tried climbing it purely for it's own sake, we had to turn back due to snow (http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/panic-on-the-slopes-of-bearnagh/).

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013 »

I definitely think Lamagan is a hidden icon of the mournes. In the centre of the central spine, and with a steep, trackless ascent it must be one of the least visited mountains on the range. It's best view is also hard come by... sort of from the annalong river near the forest...but from there it shows its stronghold dominance in the centre of the range...slabs and scree defending all approaches.

As a pure icon, Doan probably tips it though. It's easy access and stunning views make it well loved by all. The 'island peak' of the Mournes, it boasts both a gentle approach over a martian white landscape and sheer scrambling sides.

As an outsider, I'd suggest Muck for consideration... a long buttressed ridge with a massive plateau... it's a very fine mountain to be on top of and somewhat different to the rest... or Hen...so accessible, but so interesting on top.

My favourite route up Bearnagh is up the quarry track to the Bearnagh/Meelmore saddle then straight up the steep side. There is great theatre coming up Trassey under Spellack, with the Hare's gap boulder field above (I like coming down this as a circuit route), rugged history in the quarry remnants, a sharp relentless climb, then popped out right at the top amidst the crowning tors. Everyone who doesn't know the mountains, loves Bearnagh when they see it (often from Doan). It's the most aggressive. My mate calls it Kid A as it reminds him of the Radiohead album cover.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

clairebear

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013 »

Agree ref bernagh, first time up it i remember loving the rocks and decent off it towards meelmore.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]