Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Slievemartin and a wee bit more  (Read 6108 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Slievemartin and a wee bit more
« on: October 20, 2012 »

My last day walk in the Mournes was the 7 sevens.  Having covered many of the bigger hills on the day and a wee bit of training prior to that, I was keen to go somewhere a bit different for a change.  In the summer I had stayed in the campsite at Cranfield and loved the view of the Mournes from that perspective.  The range seemed more expansive since the smaller hills to the West aren't obscured by the higher Mournes. 

Anyway I decided that it was time to take in a few of the hills that I hadn't been to yet.  I had doubts though, even on the morning of the walk I was wondering if I should take the opportunity of pleasant weather to enjoy some of the bigger ones.  On the map the higher elevations appeal to me.

Myself and a friend headed off, sticking to our guns, using Rostrevor as a starting point.  As we approached Rostrevor the hills looked pretty impressive rising steeply right from the water's edge.   

We started off from the visitor centre at the forest park heading first to the Cloghmore Stone via Fiddlers Green, then up onto the summit of Slievemeen (472m).

From there it was a pleasant walk across to the summit of Slievemartin (485m).  We were entertained by the continuous industry of a helicopter that was lifting materials up to the higher reaches of the trail construction that was being carried out.  There is a lot of work going on here.  I'm sure the MTBrs are looking forward to it's completion.

From Slievemartin we headed down across Slievefadda and onto the long spur of Knockshee (347m) which enjoys commanding views on each side.  The end of Knockshee made a lovely spot for a bite of lunch.

After a bit of watching the world go by we headed back towards Slievemartin for a little while before dropping down off the side of Knockshee to meet the Watergap River. This pretty little river makes it way down through a deep gorge which at some points had an almost sheer drop of 50 or 60 feet.  After crossing the river we followed it's path up towards Crenville. 

Upon meeting the forest we followed the forest line over The Rowans until we picked up on a track marked on the map that took us into Rostrevor forest and onto the main forest tracks.  From there it was downhill all the way back to the visitor centre.

It was a great day out with pretty much perfect weather.  The temperature was just perfect for walking and the views over Carlingford Lough, over to the Cooleys and over the Kingdom of Mourne were just stunning.  These hills in the Mournes have a lot to offer, you'll not feel short-changed.  And with plenty of places nearby for a post-walk Guinness, it is a great place to reflect on the day's activities.     
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012 by whoRya »
"Not all those who wander are lost."

gardener

• Newbie Poster
Re: Slievemartin and a wee bit more
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012 »

Beautiful pictures.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012 »

Good thread with fabulous photos :)

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012 »

Looks like a great day out with great weather too.
Good pictures.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012 »

love the pics, did a very similar walk last year with the scouts and camped by the edge of the forest at yellow water, i have BAD memories of crossing the rowans, aka, the bog of eternal stench  >:(
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012 »

Brilliant pictures, looks like a top day out.

t18con

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012 »

we did a similar walk earlier in the year, fantastic photos. Kilbrooney park has a lot to offer, esp for the family day out and the cyclists out there.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012 »

Thanks for the kind words people.  There doesn't seem to be a whole lot on the forum about this area; hopefully it will be useful for folk planning a walk.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012 »

Amazing pictures !!! looks like yoiu got nice water n all ;-)
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012 »

I was working in the area today and parked up in Kilbroney to have my lunch, as it was a beautiful sunny day i called the office to say i'm taking the afternoon off and away i went for a little dander (approx 1 mile) to visit the cloghmore stone. But I ended up doing 4 miles with my usual "i'll just go a little further" routine. Wonderful place, the upper car park itself it a sort of hidden gem, then a short but steep walk up to the stone, after that i sampled some of the new mtb tracks by foot, they look great! then off to the summit of Ballynagelty (bet you never heard of that one before, neither did i) and on my return journey decided to hit slieve martin as it was too close too ignore  ;D

the route

view of the upper car park at kilbroney, lovely spot, about 15 picnic tables and loads of parking space, not much winter sun here but in the summer it gets the afternoon sun.

a pic from the car park last summer

the cloghmore stone, great spot for a bivvy  ;)

the stone from afar, slieve martin in the background

found this spot near the stone, great pic for kids to scramble up, about a 3-5 meter climb and just enough slope to make it interesting

view from one of the mtb trails

view of killowen point (where i was working earlier) from Ballynagelty

view from ballynagelty lookingthe other direction, great wee spot (and i was well sheltered today from the cool northerly breeze)

rostrevor and warrenpoint

then off to slieve martin

another view of slieve martin

on the drive home tonight the moon was amazing, this pic doesn't really do it justice though

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012 »

It seems the sun always shines on Slievemartin.  Some nice photos Liam, the late afternoon winter sun gives a real warmth to them.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012 »

Nice one Liam,class photos,is that hen in the last shot

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012 »

Yes that's Hen, i actually adjusted my route home to try and get a view of the moon with a decent mountain in the foreground.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]