Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 4604 times)

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
Another Newbie
« on: August 15, 2012 »

Just wanted to say a quick Hi to everyone. I have been checking this site out over the last couple of months and have eventually gotten round to joining up. My main interest is photography and i have been combining that with walking in the Mournes recently, was on Commedagh on saturday morning past though i was under time pressure and was back in Donard carpark for 9am , and was at Donard summit about a month ago for the first time. Hoping to get back again towards the end of the month to get up binnian if the weather is ok. If you come across a bald man lugging a tripod and camera rucksack about say hi! Am looking forward to getting plenty of use out of this site.

Cheers, Phil

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012 »

welcome to the forum phil, i'll say hi to everyone i meet in the hills just in case its you  :)
think outside, no box required

FlapJack

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012 »

Hi phil
“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”

Spud

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012 »

Hello and welcome!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012 »

Welcome!

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012 »

Thanks for the welcome guys.  Couple of quick questions, is there much problems if you take a dog with you into the Mournes? She is a 3 year old lab, well behaved and obedient, I just don't want any aggravation from anyone. And is there much problems with vehicle security in the Mournes area? I intend parking at carrick little car park next weekend and going walking for the day. It will actually be my work van, forty of tools of course. And is there any accurate weather forecast any of you use that would give me a good idea of the weather for the following day?
Sorry for all the questions!
Cheers, Phil.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012 »

There are signs in places to remind you that dogs can be shot if worrying sheep, and even dogs on leads can worry sheep! (don't think they would shoot if you were close though  8) ) i've seen the normally obedient dogs run off wildly when then encounter sheep and not respond to the owners calls  :(  on slieve croob there is a complete ban of dogs (too many ignored the "keep dogs on leads" warning)

some weather links here
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=426.0

and for parking at carrick little try here
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3464.0
think outside, no box required

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012 »

Many thanks Liam, like the look of that car park at Carrick Little.

Cheers, Phil.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012 »

There are always lots of walkers with dogs in the Mournes but like Liam says, sheep worrying is an issue. Security is always a problem in the Mournes but during the day I'd think it would be fine as long as you don't leave anything tempting in plain sight. Carrick Little car park is always busy so there are always people around.

Shan Doan

• Newbie Poster
    • Shan Doan Videos
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012 »

Hello Phil, I’m a bald shooter like yourself! Have a dog too:

I wouldn't trust any dog fully. I try to keep my dog strictly under control. Common sense goes a long way. If I see stinkin’ sheep within range I use the lead immediately. If he's curious I snap at the lead hard and shout, “No!” It sinks in.

Sheep owners might be confrontational, but if they’ve had bad experiences they may need to rant. Careless dog owners give us all a bad name.

I’ve settled on the Met Office Silent Valley forecast and AccuWeather’s Bloody Bridge page, and a couple of others. But I have to say that beyond 2 days or so I haven’t been too impressed. But mountain weather is tricky to predict if it’s not very settled.

Have you checked out Slievenaman Road car park just up the hill from the water treatment place? You can see it on Google maps. In my opinion it’s a nice wee place to park and head off up onto Slieve Loughshannon, etc.

If you’re an early bird it helps with concerns about your car. Maybe more remote car parks are a better option mornings and afternoons. Better than Donard Park. The last time I parked there early on (years ago) the yobs had stolen a big Volvo and driven it a very impressive distance up the path into the trees.

FlapJack

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012 »

Meelmore lodge is my choice for parking, am not too sure how much they charge though.
From their website
£4 for 10 hours
A seasonal ticket is now available for £35 in the Coffee Shop for parking over a 12 month period. For more information, contact (028) 4372 5949.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012 by FlapJack »
“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012 »

Thanks again for all the info gentlemen.

Phil

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012 »

Howdy and Welcome to the forum..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]