Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Annalong Wood  (Read 16253 times)

Pudd

• Top Poster
Re: Annalong Wood
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012 »

The Mournes should not be singled out as a crime hotspot but if it's where you are going then of course it's the area you're going to be concerned about.

Of course I'm not trying to single out the Mournes what so ever, where there is an opportunity they will take it and in regards to the story I shared they picked someone out on a single difference.  The only mountainous place that I have really travelled are the Mournes, so I may come across as biased.  I have had many great experiences in the Mournes, but unfortunately for the people who have had to deal with these crimes first hand have their hopefully great experiences ruined by as you call them low lives. 

It's really quite a shame that to enjoy what we do as a sport, hobby etc we have to do with extra planning and worry.  Kinda makes me boil inside.   >:(
The only downside to going outdoors is having to come back inside.

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012 »

I have just picked up on this thread and thought, although late, add my 2 pence worth.

I believe this is unfair to the local community in the area. I have on numerous times spoke to locals in the area, even spoke to the bloke that owns the tracking horses that usually stand around the area. They are good people and very tolerant of the walkers and carparking.

I would not like to see anyone suggesting that the north side of the mournes or the south side have better or more tolerant people. There is enough of that crap.

I have parked here on numerous occassions over night and it is fine.  Don't suggest that this is a standard around the area.

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012 »

I know this is diverting the thread, but again, I'll just add my view.

I dont think what happened to that southern bloke (excuse the vagueness) in any way reflect on the people that live in that area.

I imagine it was more than likely other passer-bys that saw an opportunity to discriminate and did so. I'd like to doubt that it was a local who noticed the southern license plates and thought, oh after my dinner I'll come up here and kick up a fuss.

If as you say they are tolerant of walkers I don't see why they wouldn't of been tolerant of walkers with an Irish brogue.

Something bad can happen anywhere, just a series of coincidences that lead to that event.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]