Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Annalong Wood  (Read 16276 times)

KennyD

• Newbie Poster
    • Kenneth Doory Graphic Design
Annalong Wood
« on: April 27, 2012 »

Good morning...

Just wondering if anyone can help me please. 

A friend and myself are camping in the Mournes this weekend.  And I have heard that Annalong wood is meant to be a good spot to camp.  Can anyone please tell me if there is a fresh stream, or water nearby.

Plus, one last thing.  We aim to climb Slieve Binnian at 4.00 in the late afternoon.  How long, approx, would it take to summit..?

Many thanks in advance.

KennyD.
KennyD

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Annalong Wood
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012 »

Right in my neck of the woods  :P,walk along the trek leading from carricklittle carpark,cross over the stile & walk along the forest which will be to your right,when you reach the edge of the wood turn right crossing over a steam,theres plenty of ground here to camp on,when you crossed the stream earlier you would have noticed a wall rounding up Binnian,this in my mind is the easier path for you to follow as it leads right to the summit,about half way up you'll noticed the walls crossing over,but you keep to the main wall leading up to the summit torr,which can be dangerous if it windy or wet,again if you've never been on binnian before then just go back down the same way,as if you got lost trying to go down by the north torr there is some serious cliff you could incounter,carry a phone,leave word where you are going & always carry the right gear,waterproofs,boots, food & water,stay safe & enjoy ;D

KennyD

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012 »

Excellent Mourneman.  Thanks for the swift reply.

Looking forward to camping in Annalong Wood.  Would you have any idea, roughly, how long it would take to summit Binnian..?

Thanks for you help.  :)
KennyD

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012 »

Would you have any idea, roughly, how long it would take to summit Binnian..?

It's about 3.5km with 600m ascent from Carricklittle up to the top of Binnian.  So how long really depends on how fit and how fast you are!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012 »

and other factors such as weight of your backpack and weather, but if you're going up from the campsite and have left most of your heavy stuff behind i'd say 1hr if your well fit and 4hrs if your a coach potatoe  ;D  if the weather is nice i'd go up the long way (via lamagan saddle) and then down the wall.

and i wouldn't drink water straight from the stream  ;)
think outside, no box required

KennyD

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012 »

Many thanks guys.  Really appreciate the advice...

One last thing... Promise.  :-\

Where about's is the best place to leave a car overnight near Annalong wood?
KennyD

Pudd

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012 »

I'd be very reserved personally about where I would leave the car in and around that location.  I have only heard one negative story but a negative story at the least.

A climber and his climbing partner were climbing in the Mournes.  They were both from Southern Ireland, and of course had a Southern Irish registered vehicle.  Rather than pay for accommodation, or brave the weather in a tent, they decided to use the van they travelled up in as shelter for the night.  When all of a sudden they were kicked out in a very aggressive and threatening manner all because they had a Southern license plate.

By no means am I trying to put you off.  It's just a bit of advice that can help you decide where to park safely and securely.  I can't remember where the Southern chap said he did park, but I believe it was in a car park in the Annalong area. 

The other guys and girls on the forum would be more apt at telling you where.  I have really only travelled the Northern side of the Mournes rather than the Southern side. 
The only downside to going outdoors is having to come back inside.

KennyD

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012 »

Thanks Pudd.

Methinks I will be sourcing alternative parking spots.  Even though I've Northern plates...

Thanks again for all the advice.  ;)
KennyD

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012 »

Kicked out of where?

Carrick Little is a very popular car park and we've parked there a good few times with no trouble. However, I have heard of people getting their cars broken into there, all by people who broke a window so they could see what was worth stealing, no attempt made to actually steal the car I think. Just luck of the draw really, however, it's been a few years since I last heard of anyone having an issue, plus I'm also unaware of anyone from NI-Wild ever having had any damage. And yes, I realise this doesn't really answer the question :)

I'd be very reserved personally about where I would leave the car in and around that location.  I have only heard one negative story but a negative story at the least.

A climber and his climbing partner were climbing in the Mournes.  They were both from Southern Ireland, and of course had a Southern Irish registered vehicle.  Rather than pay for accommodation, or brave the weather in a tent, they decided to use the van they travelled up in as shelter for the night.  When all of a sudden they were kicked out in a very aggressive and threatening manner all because they had a Southern license plate.

By no means am I trying to put you off.  It's just a bit of advice that can help you decide where to park safely and securely.  I can't remember where the Southern chap said he did park, but I believe it was in a car park in the Annalong area. 

The other guys and girls on the forum would be more apt at telling you where.  I have really only travelled the Northern side of the Mournes rather than the Southern side.

Pudd

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012 »

Kicked out of where?

I honestly couldn't tell you.  All I can remember was the brief story, the fact that the two chaps were going to be pretty much assaulted if they didn't leave and Annalong Car Park, or the car park near Annalong.

This was two years ago mind.  So no doubt I have most likely forgotten, or I am playing Chinese whispers with myself. 

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012 »

That's mad. Especially considering how close to the border the Mournes are.

Kicked out of where?

I honestly couldn't tell you.  All I can remember was the brief story, the fact that the two chaps were going to be pretty much assaulted if they didn't leave and Annalong Car Park, or the car park near Annalong.

This was two years ago mind.  So no doubt I have most likely forgotten, or I am playing Chinese whispers with myself.

Pudd

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012 »

It definitely shocked me.  The Southern chap was also saying how it was pointless the Tourist board spending so much money trying to bring tourists to the area for them to be threatened like that.  So I doubt after his experience he doesn't want to come back.  Which in all honesty I don't blame him.  Though the situation should never have happened in the first place. 

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012 »

True. Some secure parking dotted around the Mournes and a few plods doing the rounds of the main roads would do more for tourism than anything else.

It definitely shocked me.  The Southern chap was also saying how it was pointless the Tourist board spending so much money trying to bring tourists to the area for them to be threatened like that.  So I doubt after his experience he doesn't want to come back.  Which in all honesty I don't blame him.  Though the situation should never have happened in the first place.

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012 »

Irrespective of where you are, Mournes, Sperrins, Cairngorms, Lake District, the city centre, the low life will look for an opportunity to thieve and damage property not belonging to them.

The Mournes should not be singled out as a crime hotspot but if it's where you are going then of course it's the area you're going to be concerned about.

It's really pot luck, unfortunately.  The best, but most inconvenient method is to get a lift in and out of the area.

I've some other ideas which can be discussed when I'm next in  the company of NI Wilders.

Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012 »

Haven't seen you for ages chum, we should get a night out organised.

Irrespective of where you are, Mournes, Sperrins, Cairngorms, Lake District, the city centre, the low life will look for an opportunity to thieve and damage property not belonging to them.

The Mournes should not be singled out as a crime hotspot but if it's where you are going then of course it's the area you're going to be concerned about.

It's really pot luck, unfortunately.  The best, but most inconvenient method is to get a lift in and out of the area.

I've some other ideas which can be discussed when I'm next in  the company of NI Wilders.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]