Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Tent Reviews  (Read 111687 times)

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: Tent Reviews
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011 »

£650 is abit steep.
No one goes inside to clear their head

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2011 »

A friend has just bought a Vango Cyclone 200+ as a bit of an impulse purchase, but is a little unsure about it.  I can't find a single review for it online, even on that site Liam posted (which has about 60 Vango tents reviewed!)  I don't suppose anyone here has had any experience with it?

It is weighing in at 3.6kg and is a 2 man tent described as lightweight and for backpacking.  It strikes me a little as being at the upper end of what you would want to carry (1.8kg each).  Any thoughts? 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2011 »

If I am ever in the hills with my mate Paul we normally bring a Marmot Thor 2P @3.5kg. We have never had any issues with carrying that weight for an overnight. I suppose if you were going for multiple days and had more food to pack the weight of the tent may pose a bit more of an issue.

Matthew

hamsterboots

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012 »

I camped on Commedagh in February in a coleman  which got ripped apart in a storm and swore I would invest in a top notch tent for future trips. After a lot of research I settled on a scarp 1 whivh had to be imported from America, I rate it very highly for one man trips. However after I purchased it ( and much complaining from my partner ) I picked up a Hilleberg Nammatj GT2 on gumtree for £270, a lot for a second hand tent but it feels indestructable, so easy to pitch and the porch area would even sleep another person. Hopefully I will never have to purchase another tent ( yes I rate it that highly)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012 »

sounds like an interesting night, must have been pretty wild up there
think outside, no box required

aquapiranha

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2016 »

currently I have a Hilleberg Akto which appears to be very well made and probably indestructible under real conditions. In the past I have had a VauDe Space Explorer which was nice but a l little bulky and a North Face tadpole which I was not that impressed with. Bear in mind that while bomb proof, the Akto is not free standing and requires guying. I look forward to giving it a good go in the Mournes.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2016 »

a North Face tadpole which I was not that impressed with.

I must say that I have been nothing short of amazed with my tadpole. From overnights to living out of it for a month it has been flawless.

MB

Tenebreaux

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2017 »

I've had the Argos Pro Action Hike Lite for about a decade now. It's done the entire Pennine Way with me and god knows how many Lake District wild camps. Weighs bugger all and cost me the grand total of fifteen quid. Value for money is an understatement. Can't get them any more from what I can see. 
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Pro-Action/Argos-Hike-Lite/497

But I've just bought one of these for a bit more room: https://www.allfouroutdoors.co.uk/blogs/camping-hiking-equipment-reviews-and-discussions/introducing-the-naturehike-cirrus-2-person-tent

Haven't even taken it out of the bag yet, it was waiting in my shed when I got home from work yesterday. I'll stick it up in the garden tomorrow for a first look.

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2017 »

Mmmm nice. Keep us updated
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2017 »

Just got a new tent for an upcoming trip with the better half. The £10 Lidl special just wasn't going to cut it for 3 months use... I'm not sure whether we would have killed the tent or each other first  ;D

I considered lots of tents including Hilleburg, Lightwave, MSR, Big Agnes and Tarptent... but in the end couldn't look past the features and value of Decathlon's finest... the Quechua Quickhiker Ultralight 3.

A full review will be written later in the year upon my return, but here are the initial thoughts:
http://www.twentyclicks.co.uk/quechua-quickhiker-ultralight-3-person-tent/

Full tent specification can be seen on Decathlon's site here:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-3-hiking-tent-3-man-grey-id_8245651.html
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Tenebreaux

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2017 »

So, shoved the Cirrus up quickly in the back garden just to check everything was there. Took less than ten minutes, not bad for first time pitching. It's HUGE! I could probably kip in the porch. Didn't put all the pegs in or the guys. A few phone snaps:

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2017 »

Great to see an example of another tent available.  Those Naturehikes seem to be great value.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]