Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sea Fishing at Orlock Point  (Read 22180 times)

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Sea Fishing at Orlock Point
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010 »

You can get a fishing rod in woodsides for like £8. That's what I'll be using. Bit of banter at the end of the day!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010 »

Think TK Maxx do some fishing sets as well that include rod, reel, line and some spinners etc.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010 »

Got out to Orlock Point on Wednesday evening for a couple of hours.  Was low tide, which seems about the best time to go around there.  At high tide a lot of the rocks are covered by the sea and you'd end up losing a load of tackle on them.  As someone else mentioned there wasn't much room for fishing, there is a big rock that juts out into the sea with room for 3 people at a push.  Decent enough spot though and we didnt have too much trouble with getting caught in sea weed or anything... 

...didn't catch anything mind!

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010 »

Were you down again? What sort of gear did you use?

cruben

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010 »

Hi Suppermonkey
The high tide may be less convenient but some places fish best then , Draw a little map at low tide of the rocks and snags ,mackerel like the deeper water and the large polock are shy, they have to be to become large and not get eaten, try fishing off the rocks at dusk.Float fishing can be good as you can present the bait at your desired depth and you will not lose tackle on the rocky bottom
I used to fish off the warren wall which is on the Bangor side of D,Dee golf course, that was many moons ago so I don't know  about access now. It was good for rock codling, pollock and coalfish, blocken as we would call them. Very rough bottom so use sacrificial weights eg old spark plugs,or nuts ,bolts tied on with weaker line.
Bait will often work when the spinner dos'nt. Try a white feather in the evening for polock
good luck

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010 »

Were you down again? What sort of gear did you use?

Yep, was down again!  Hoping to head out again this week as the tide should suit around Brompton if you fancy a trip?  Just need some nicer weather now!

I tried both spinners and a 3 hook rig the other night, but didnt have any luck with either.  Strangely I seemed to have less snagging with the spinner than I did with the lure which was the opposite to the last night we were out.  I had just tied up a brand new rig with nice shiny lead weight, cast it out, snagged it whilst reeling it back in and then the line snapped :(  D'oh!

Cruben, thanks for the advice!  Float fishing is next on my list to try so will give it a go.  Mind you, I think I will have to bring my own bait with me because I wouldnt rely on being able to catch anything to use as bait ;)
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]