Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• MOURNE SKYLINE MTR: October 18, 2014
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skyrunning UK announce new race – MOURNE SKYLINE MTR in Northern Ireland  (Read 15023 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

The Mourne Skyline Mountain-Trail Race is arguably Northern Ireland’s toughest and most scenic long distance race; the event is based in the Mourne Mountains, starting and finishing in the seaside town of Newcastle, County Down.

Comprising mainly of forest paths, fire roads and single-track grass and granite trail, with approximately one mile on the road.  The course measures 35k and there is approximately 11,056ft of ascent and 11,024ft of descent.  The highest point will be 2,801ft and the lowest point is at sea level.

http://skyrunninguk.com/2014/05/28/skyrunning-uk-announce-new-race-mourne-skyline-mtr-in-northern-ireland/
http://www.mourneskylinemtr.com/

The course will be 35k in distance, incorporating 3,370m (11.075ft) of ascending.
Capped field – 150 participants
£35.00 entry
Saturday 18th October 2014 – 8am (Race Briefing at 7.45am – All participants MUST attend)
Newcastle, County Down, Northern Ireland (Start – Newcastle Tourist Information Centre, Main Street, Newcastle)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014 by admin »

clairebear

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.

I'm entered, seems the entry was capped to 150 so I'm sure they will have filled up pretty quickly. Maybe as fast as erasure sold out on Friday!!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

I stared and stared at the website last night pondering whether I should enter, then chickened out and signed up for the 2 mile granite trail run on the night before  ;D

http://www.mourneskylinemtr.com/granite-trail-race-gtr

think outside, no box required

Rich.H

• Hero Poster

I'm tempted to enter the 2 mile granite trail but just wondering about the terrain as I have never been up there before. I am going to take a wild guess that "granite trail" is a tiny clue about the course terrain and it is pretty much all the kind of trails you get heading from carrick little car park?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

it is pretty much all the kind of trails you get heading from carrick little car park?

Its even easier than that, a lot of forest track to the start of the bogie line, very steep ascent there (i'll be walking here) at the top the wee narrow trail to the quarry has been resurfaced and its lovely to run on. Very possibly to do this in road trainers.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster

Thanks for that I had wondered just what footwear to go for, obviously the mighty fellraisers would result in dead feet for this. But I am thinking perhaps the NB 110's could be the ticket being all uphill should mean there is very little chance for constant pounding of the heels?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

The heels are the last things to worry about  ;)

Rich.H

• Hero Poster

I did see how well those nice contours like to stick with each other that makes me think the calfs might have a choice word or two. Fek it what else am I going to do on a Friday evening.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

I see you didn't make it down Rich  :( , you missed a very wet one, but at least I got your t shirt for you (keeping the fudge and crisps from the goody bag for myself though  ;D )

the light in the hills is our finish line

the new shoes got an outing too

Rich.H

• Hero Poster

Sadly I was stuck out in Donegal working yesterday and didn't get home until gone 8pm, very annoying but unfortunately the bank bill folks were calling the shots this last two weeks. I got my fair share of the wet but nothing like as much fun as some of the pictures I have seen of the event from their fb page. How did you do for time Liam?

clairebear

• Sr. Poster

Awesome day today in the MTR.  A tough tough race in very windy conditions on the summits.  Bernagh was fun!  Have ruined another pair of shorts due to the amount of falling off the mountains. 

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

Well done Claire, 6hr 28m, impressive, would that be your toughest race yet?

clairebear

• Sr. Poster

I'd say yes it would be Liam. The MMM was tight this year too but that was rough.  The technical descents were tricky especially when my legs were so tired near the end.  I only took one photo on the route.  Keep er lit was my motto and it seemed to work alright. 

The weather you guys got last night was horrendous!!

clairebear

• Sr. Poster

Here's me and my wee man at the finish.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster

Congrats Claire that's a good time for that ground, I see you have the 6lt OMM bag on in that pic. I got one last week but haven't had a chance to use it yet, how well does in sit when you have stuff in there?
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]