Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Slemish solo-overnighter - 6th May  (Read 8414 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Slemish solo-overnighter - 6th May
« on: May 07, 2012 »

Well ok then, seems a few have mentioned what they got up to over the bank holiday weekend...why not me.

Like Dowser I was keeping a wee eye on the Cascade River overnighter and was on the cusp of throwing my lot in with the guys, when it got cancelled. 

Not wishing to waste a permission slip that was non-date-transferrable I took the opportunity to check out a wee pitch that I had seen on a previous scramble up Slemish with Rumblebum.  The proximity to home fitted well with my desire to go out late and return early also.

I have been climbing Slemish for years but always going up and down the normal ways.  When we took a different route one time we found a couple of cracker wee ledges on one side of the mountain and promised to come back and camp there some time. 

This is a picture of the ledge from an earlier recce.

Finding a suitable parking space meant a wee bit of a walk-in and hoping not to miss the sunset I pushed it on a wee bit, pausing for the odd glimpse at where I was headed.

I got the spot and set up camp with time to relax and watch the last of the sunset while the clouds cleared enough to show off all the warm colours.

As dusk settled I relaxed and went to do the final text of the night, only to find that the despite the phone being on charge all day the battery had completely discharged itself.  Bit of a long story but I think I freaked out a couple of guys who happened to be chilling out in the car park down below, by appearing out of the darkness and asking to use a phone!  They were very gracious (albeit in a creeped-out way), thanks for your help guys, I'll be allowed out again!

As night settled it was time to do what Liam does best and put the camera on night mode, pointing it at the bright lights of Ballymena-hey.

After a wee hot chocolate warmer with a bit of star-gazing, and being so comfy I nearly fell asleep on the ground outside I turned in to bed.  Now being in bed I found it a bit hard to settle.  Between the chatter of sheep and cows a cuckoo was determined to get his oar-in and it wasn't until I put my ear plugs in that I got over to sleep.

I woke up about 5am and went outside to catch a glimpse of the sun rising.  I would love to have climbed up to the top and watch it all unfold but being alone and now without a phone, I thought it safer to stay put.  After a wee juke I got back into bed for another couple of hours' kip.

Glad I don't sleep walk!

I knew the rain was due and it arrived about 7:30am but it wasn't too heavy so as to prevent me getting a wee cup of tea and some porridge, all enjoyed in the protection of my waterproofs.

A great wee night out.  I'm glad I took the opportunity when it arose, although I'm sure St. Patrick spent a few rougher nights there!!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012 by whoRya »
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Slemish solo-overnighter - 6th May
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012 »

excellent write up, love the wee ledge, never been up slemish myself although did have a few goes at it in the landy  ;D

think outside, no box required

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012 »

Thanks for the Whorya, enjoy reading about a trip a bit closer to home. Great photos. I love climbing slemish, but like you have always took the traditional route up it. Next time I must have a look about and take a different one.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012 »

Great write up & super photos whorya,sometimes the best trips are unplanned  ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012 »

Great writeup, I must tick Slemish off my list at some stage too. Is it far enough off the beaten track to get a bit of peace of an evening or would there be late night walkers or teen boozers about?

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012 »

Its pretty far from any real road. Just country roads to get there.

I'd doubt there would be any real number of people, unless its St Patricks day ofcourse.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012 »

Love the pics. It's been a while since I climbed Slemish.. It used to be one of my regular hills when I lived in Carnmoney.
I used to climb it from the side of the car park, what route did you do?

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Pudd

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012 »

I've always wanted to camp/bivvy Slemish at some point.  whoRya, if you are walking to Slemish from the car park, is that ridge on the left hand side (the side with the rock face)?  As I believe I took an unconventional route down and might have stumbled across that ridge

Great writeup, I must tick Slemish off my list at some stage too. Is it far enough off the beaten track to get a bit of peace of an evening or would there be late night walkers or teen boozers about?

I don't think anyone would actually be on Slemish, though there would most definitely be people in the car park I'm sure.  A the way with Ballymena tradition any car park available is a car park to play music, sit and chat, and watch other cars go past.  (no offence). 

So I would definitely suggest not to leave your car in the car park. 
The only downside to going outdoors is having to come back inside.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012 »

As others have mentioned it is rural but quite popular.  When I was starting to head up the hill at about 8:30pm there were a few cars there, mostly people who had taken a wee drive up to watch the sunset.  A couple of people were just coming down from the hill.

I wouldn't imagine too many walkers about when it starts to get dark since you need to be very careful climbing it.  I didn't feel comfortable leaving my car there.  There is CCTV on the car park and the police patrolled up round during the night, but all that gives very limited security.  There were a couple of cars that took a drive up late at night, probably young ones out cruising.

I have seen an abandoned tent there once but it doesn't necessarily look frequent that people would party up there.   

I've always wanted to camp/bivvy Slemish at some point.  whoRya, if you are walking to Slemish from the car park, is that ridge on the left hand side (the side with the rock face)?  As I believe I took an unconventional route down and might have stumbled across that ridge

Yes Pudd that is it, there is a lower one and a higher one which is a bit narrower.  I turned left after going through the kissing gate.  In the first photo you can see the bottom half of the car park.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012 »

Thats looks like a nice wee night and a great spot for a camp, love the pictures mate.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]