Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Ben Crom Overnighter 14/01/12  (Read 6141 times)

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
Ben Crom Overnighter 14/01/12
« on: January 10, 2012 »

Planning on heading down to Ben Crom this Saturday for an overnighter to bed in and test some new gear with a glass of the monks finest and a fried up steak  ;D Leaving Meelmore lodge around lunchtime then heading for the camp around the shelter stone. Anyone interested then im more than happy with any company  :)
If in doubt, get the coffee out

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Ben Crom Overnighter 14/01/12
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012 »

Planning on heading down to Ben Crom this Saturday for an overnighter to bed in and test some new gear with a glass of the monks finest and a fried up steak  ;D Leaving Meelmore lodge around lunchtime then heading for the camp around the shelter stone. Anyone interested then im more than happy with any company  :)

I would love to be joining you for this... A Fried Steak washed down with the Monks Finest sounds like the perfect combination.  Unfortunately I have a very important exam to sit on the 27th and it has me grounded till then  :'(

Maybe next time!!!
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012 »

No problemo. If the temptation gets too much and your seriously thinking about it them pm me sure. If you cant make it then dont worry...il get a picture of buckfast and steak uploaded  ;D

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012 »

With something popping up last minute that i was invited too i decided to put back this until next saturday now. Not being one too completly leave my plans, i decided late last night that i would put it up out the back garden. Got too test some new gear which after last night has got me busting too get out more and more... The weather was also top notch, i was able to sit out (just after midnight) and make a hot chocolate with just a pair or shorts on, a base layer and then a fleece. The temperature dropped throughout the night but was cosy in my tent. Must say that the banshee is a well made, good quality item. Can put up my list i used last night if anybody wants me too :) but as for now, its time for a sunday morning fry from the comfort of the house

Rumblebum

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012 »

I had to laugh there Adam as i could just see your neighbours gowin what the hell is he up to now lol ;D

Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

BrianT

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012 »

Hi Adam
I would be interested in what gear you used as I'm new to this wild camping and am mad to soak up knowledge.I'm building up my gear at the moment for my first night out.
Brian

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012 »

To be honest i only have neighbours left and right too me and then fields upon fields behind us so fairly secluded  ;) but they know better than to ask whats goin on  ;D

Yes Brian, i have a wide range of sleeping and cooking gear so i can swap about for each trip as they will be slightly different but for this i used the following

Vango banshee tent, thermarest original self inflating, a vango ultralite 300 sleeping bag, a trangia kit although i was messing about with a kelly kettle i also have, and a zipka2 headtorch. Thats just the basics there that u was using. I might also do a clearout as im getting it in the ear about the garage turning into cotswold/army store so if you need anything then let me know but without looking i can tell you theres at least 2 dd hammocks, another thermarest, army sleeping bags, rucksacks, hexy cooking kits, camo and olive tarps, and about 3 other tents. When are you planning on your first night out?

BrianT

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012 »

Hi Adam,

I have most of my gear together now.I went for the marmot grid 2 tent after much deliberation-weight v comfort v price etc. Deuter trek lite 300 sleeping bag,helium 3.8 mat and jetboil flash cooking system.All I have left to get now is bigger rucksack.I was in cotswolds today looking at Lowe Alpine Appalachain 65-85 and a Berghaus C -71 65 +10.I didn't really have time to put weights in and test properly but the Lowe Alpine first impressions felt very comfortable.I have been using a Berghaus freeflow 50 for about 5 years now  and like it.As for first time out I'm still working on my wife to convince her.She hikes a lot but like me has never camped out.
Brian

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012 »

Hi Adam,

I have most of my gear together now.I went for the marmot grid 2 tent after much deliberation-weight v comfort v price etc. Deuter trek lite 300 sleeping bag,helium 3.8 mat and jetboil flash cooking system.All I have left to get now is bigger rucksack.I was in cotswolds today looking at Lowe Alpine Appalachain 65-85 and a Berghaus C -71 65 +10.I didn't really have time to put weights in and test properly but the Lowe Alpine first impressions felt very comfortable.I have been using a Berghaus freeflow 50 for about 5 years now  and like it.As for first time out I'm still working on my wife to convince her.She hikes a lot but like me has never camped out.

I have recently bought the Berghaus C7-1 Series 65+10 off ebay.  I had borrowed one and liked the ease with which I could pack it.  This is especially important when striking camp, particularly in bad weather.  The side pockets are voluminous and easliy accessed. Overall I'm very satisfied with it. :)
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

BrianT

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012 »

I was watching C-71 also on E-bay last week but didn't bid as I hadn't seen it in the flesh at that stage,maybe the same one? I'm looking at the Lowe Alpine online at £99 -a lot cheaper than Cotswolds who don't have the colour I want otherwise they would have price-matched !
Brian

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012 »

Hi Brian, it might be worth a trying Lindseys of coleraine to see what they have in the way of rucksacks, i called in for a quick look one day and came out with the berghaus C - 71 series under my arm, for £80!

Its a real Alladins cave.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

BrianT

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012 »

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately I'm in Co.Armagh and the distance is a bit too much for the saving.
Brian

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012 »

Hi Adam,

Sounds like your ready for a comfortable night out anyway with that equipment. About the rucksack, it just depends on what you want and how much you have to spend. Theres sales online atm i think in blacks and they have a karrimor reduced to £24, brilliant size and cheap, but all comes down to what you want. The missus's are always a problem as im sure a lot of people on here will tell you  ;) mine loves car camping, but thats about it, the rest of the time im going on trips solo  ::)

BrianT

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012 »

I'm telling myself I've gone over the top on quality to try and coax wife ,son or daughter but truth be told at 40 + years I like a bit of comfort myself ;)
Brian

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]