Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• NI-Wild Camping Trip: January 23, 2010 - January 24, 2010
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Jan 23/24 10 Donard Forest Camping Trip  (Read 64363 times)

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Jan 23/24 10 Camping Trip
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010 »

why not do both then...we use donard wood as a base camp so that everyone can meet and then people have the option to do whatever.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010 »

Well, as everyone knows I'm not confident enough yet to do the longer routes but I don't want to hold you game types back :) I'm honestly happy to sit this one out and let you guys get a belter in or walk a shorter route in to meet you at your overnight point.

The route I was thinking of was parking at Meelmore Lodge, up hares gap then follow the wall over Slievenaglogh, Slievecorragh and Commedagh then drop down the saddle to Donard Forest. Then reverse route home the next day (or taxi if wobbly legs :))

Also, if you were doing a route that stopped in Donard overnight then I could just come up the glen and meet you there. Is there any chance that MG could get up later in the evening?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010 by J »

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010 »

I don't think it's the case of beasting on, it's just that I had got myself geared up for something a bit more challanging than a night by the campfire and we did do that the other weekend.

If a night in donard wood goes ahead then of course I will amend my route and meet up with whoever is at the wood. I guess this will kill two birds with one stone.

Sounds good mate i'd be in for that.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010 »

I'd be up for some time in the Mournes, followed by a camp in Donard Wood.  Or a camp in Annalong Wood?  Will be the first to admit though that the Annalong Horseshoe is a bit more than my legs can stretch to at the moment, following a particularly lazy winter on my behalf!  

I like the sound of J's route as I know Meelmore/Trassey/Hares Gap but I've never been over Slievenaglogh, Slievecorragh or Commedagh.  But likewise I don't want to be holding any one else back if they want to tackle more adventurous routes.  But we could always have a route A and a route B for those of different abilities and meet up at the same spot for the overnight part?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010 »

sweet. Shall we just go for that then? Half join 666pack on the horseshoe route and the others go with jonno on his, meetin up at donard forest for fun and games.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010 »

I'd be up for some time in the Mournes, followed by a camp in Donard Wood.  Or a camp in Annalong Wood?  Will be the first to admit though that the Annalong Horseshoe is a bit more than my legs can stretch to at the moment, following a particularly lazy winter on my behalf!  

I like the sound of J's route as I know Meelmore/Trassey/Hares Gap but I've never been over Slievenaglogh, Slievecorragh or Commedagh.  But likewise I don't want to be holding any one else back if they want to tackle more adventurous routes.  But we could always have a route A and a route B for those of different abilities and meet up at the same spot for the overnight part?

sounds good.
 I really don't know where this notion of holding people back comes from? On these sorts of forums there are always going to differnt outlooks on route choice. I'm no super hiker by any strech but I do wanna push myself a bit harder this year as I'm sure we all do
The two route option with shared camp works for me....roll on the weekend.

The weather is lookin in our favour.

So with two route sorted there no reason for a big turn out for the overnight camp.
all aboard

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010 »

sweet. Shall we just go for that then? Half join 666pack on the horseshoe route and the others go with jonno on his, meetin up at donard forest for fun and games.

Sounds like a plan - Me and SuspectM could come from Meelmore and you chaps can come the hard way :)
Would it be feasible to get all the way from Carrick Little to Donard Wood in a day?

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010 »

Sounds like a plan - Me and SuspectM could come from Meelmore and you chaps can come the hard way :)
Would it be feasible to get all the way from Carrick Little to Donard Wood in a day?
[/quote]

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be achievable. What is the plan for the return leg are we all going to retrace our routes ?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010 »

We can either go back over Commedagh or just follow the Brandy Pad to Meelomore. You chaps can either follow on round the the Horseshoe or go back the hard way over the Coachroad.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010 »

I didnt mean it like that mate, I just ment that some people seemed to be put off by the bigger hike. But with this two route option there's no excuse and even if you dont fancy a walk but a bit of a camp by the fire then everyone knows where we'll be. In fairness things like this will only work if people come, no point in it turning out to be one person doin a rout and camping by themselves or somethin!
Anyway I'm lookin forward to this now!
who's in for the bigger hike? how about a little kit prep?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010 »

I think I've finally gotten my gear down to the <14kg area. Hopefully around 12 and 2 of that is the needlessly heavy rucksack.

Mine will likely be:

Hike Lite Pro
Alpkit Pipedream 600
Wee Airic mat + foam mat
Hunka bivvy
Mini Trangia
Berghaus Paclite
Windproof fleece
Down gilet
Hat, gloves and buff
Spare thermal baselayers + microfleece + socks + waterproof troos
Head torch / First Aid Kit / Spork / Cup / 1L Sigg / GPS / Map / Compass
Drinkies of some sort (winter warmer!)
Food probably pasta'n'sauce + some sort of cooked meat. Not sure about breakfast yet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010 by J »

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010 »

I think I've finally gotten my gear down to the <14kg area. Hopefully around 12 and 2 of that is the needlessly heavy rucksack.

Mine will likely be:

Hike Lite Pro
Alpkit PD 600
Wee Airic mat + foam mat
Hunka bivvy
Mini Trangia

Berghaus Paclite
Windproof fleece
Down gilet
Hat, gloves and buff
Spare thermal baselayers + microfleece + socks + waterproof troos
Head torch / FAK / Spork / Cup / 1L Sigg / GPS / Map / Compass
Food probably pasta'n'sauce + some sort of cooked meat. Not sure about breakfast yet.

You could prob get away with out those if you wanted.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010 »

Fair points. With the mat I've been using self inflaters that weigh 1kg. I got the Airic at 494g but I'm not totally convinced it will be comfy enough so I'm bringing the foam one to use beneath. Is only 154g so I think it's worth the experiment. As far as the Trangia goes, watching you guys cooking in minutes while I fecked about with pots on the fire made me promise I would never leave the house again without at least a lightweight cooking system. Not even to go down the shops :)

The bivvy I just feel safer carrying incase I get into trouble or get a leaky tent.

What's your list - you travel pretty light don't you?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010 »

Fair points. With the mat I've been using self inflaters that weigh 1kg. I got the Airic at 494g but I'm not totally convinced it will be comfy enough so I'm bringing the foam one to use beneath. Is only 154g so I think it's worth the experiment. As far as the Trangia goes, watching you guys cooking in minutes while I fecked about with pots on the fire made me promise I would never leave the house again without at least a lightweight cooking system. Not even to go down the shops :)

The bivvy I just feel safer carrying incase I get into trouble or get a leaky tent.

Why not use the backrest from your rucksack for underneath? or if you dont have one just the ruck itself? and if your in such a hurry to eat then why are you walking!? I'm only messin with you jonno there were just a few things I thought you cudda left out.
As for me I dunno yet i'll see what comes to hand on friday night!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010 »

My original attitude was whats the rush but there have been a few times, especially in the wet where lighting a fire and getting it hot enough to cook on has been a trial and I've ended up starved for ages. Also I had a bad experience canoeing where I ended up cold and wet with no way to make a hot drink and it was pretty depressing. These days I sometimes just throw in a few MLs of meths and the burner from the Trangia, that way I can cope in an emergency!

Wish I could leave it to the last minute to pack. My OCD kicks in and I have to start weighing stuff and making lists like a mentalist  :P

Why not use the backrest from your rucksack for underneath? or if you dont have one just the ruck itself? and if your in such a hurry to eat then why are you walking!? I'm only messin with you jonno there were just a few things I thought you cudda left out.
As for me I dunno yet i'll see what comes to hand on friday night!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]