Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Gas Canisters...............  (Read 6439 times)

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
Gas Canisters...............
« on: January 28, 2010 »

The weekends problems with my jetboil seem to be solved........... as we all know there are different sorts of gas..!!

The cart I had bought was 70% butane and 30% propane and after a bit of reading it turns out BUTANE dont like the cold...!!

Another wee look for an old cart that was ''Primus power gas'' that is labled as ''4 season gas'' Propane,isobutane,butane. I have never had any bother with this sort so think I've lernt my lesson there..!!

There are different kinds of the gas used in cartridges. Some mixtures are very sensible to the cold weather: gas begins to be "lazy" sometimes already around 0°C. It is colder close to the earth where we usually place our cookers.

Gas butane has the lowest weather resistens (boiling point  around 0,5°C) that is why it is mixed with gas propane, which has more tolerance to cold weather, and in other mixtures with isobutane - this one helps to make gas mixture more even.
Advice from expirienced tourists: warm you gas bottle before it will warm your food - keep it in your sleeping bag while you are brushing teeth :), keep it for a while in your pulover.

General rule says that to boil 1 liter of cold water takes 7 minutes by full power of your small cooker.  One full gas cartridge  450gr will burn for ca 3 hours on full power. It depends from gas mixture, weather, cooking equipment.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Gas Canisters...............
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010 »

So we should be using 4 season gas. I always assumed the gas cans were all the same. 10/10 for interesting and useful!

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010 »

So we should be using 4 season gas. I always assumed the gas cans were all the same. 10/10 for interesting and useful!

Good, glad you found it interesting........!!  :D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010 »

Good, glad you found it interesting........!!  :D

Yeah, I don't get out much  ::)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]