Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: is it possible to live without money just skills  (Read 7427 times)

troutdoorsman

• Newbie Poster

hi everyone i was wanting to no if you think it is possible to live without money and just on your wits alone. I would love to put on the rucksack and a few pices and head of somewhere for a few months and just see where it takes me but i would need some experience to do that. I found this site and i didnt no there was a bushcraft group in northern ireland and i would love to meet up sometime with some of you guys, cheers

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: is it possible to live without money just skills
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010 »

The NIBA are around here somewhere, they're just the people to ask. I think that living without money takes quite a bit of foraging and trapping and I'm not sure that Northern Ireland has the resources.

Welcome

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010 »

The simple answer is No. Not without breaking the law in regard to tresspassing, poaching and stealing etc. You may be able to barter for resources by working or selling crafts etc but to just go out and live off the land would be, to all extents and purposes, impossible in Northern Ireland
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010 by Celt_Ginger »

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010 »

you want to be a tramp? ;D

troutdoorsman

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010 »

lol good one pablo i liked that one, made me laugh. But what im saying is its something im hopeing to do some time maby backpack around the west coast of scotland as i know the seas around there are full of fish and shellfish then maby head down to england and im just wondering if i could do it without money or will i need a few grand to do it. Thanks for the replies and i hope i get more opinions please on maby how much you think i would need for maby six months

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010 »

two grand would do it a recon.
forget that nonsense about fishing for food,you,ll have starved after the first two weeks unless your dineing on jellyfish. unless your an accomplished angler then forget it.

youd be safer whacking a sheep over the head and eating that for a fortnight after youve dried the meat,but you need to know how to do that too!

id suggest you get lost in castlewellan forest for a couple of days and nights foraging for food,that ought to change your mind lol.

but hey,im not trying to discourage you mate,i applaud the idea and would urge you to have that adventure....just give it some thought first. ;)

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010 »

troutdoorsman

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010 »

good one that sounds great but where would you put your caravan over here i guess youd have to buy the field first

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010 »

I think there was a guy who lived for a year without money in Donegal.  I think I remember that he too lived in a caravan.  He did it as an experiment but when he was recently interviewed on Radio Ulster he said that after a year he was not going back to using money.

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010 »

As far as I know it too be true there are goups of people who do it, bartering for food etc. Its a big comittment to try and undertake, most people are fed up living out of a rucksack after 3 or 4 days and thats with food on your person, I cant imagine what it would be like trying to scavange for food!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]