Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Fuel for Cookers  (Read 11616 times)

Windy

• Top Poster
Fuel for Cookers
« on: June 06, 2016 »

Heading to Sweden and thinking Gas or Meths .
I am Using a trangia Triangle with Mess tin .
How much fuel for say 6 days .Need to make a  Breakfast  ,a few coffees  Lunch and dinner all dehydrated.
Also have a Trangia 27 but bulky

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016 by Windy »
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Fuel for Cookers
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016 »

Oh wow. I've been using a Trangia mini and the group one for years and I have absolutely no idea. It really depends on the conditions, in the wind they use loads of fuel. They're less efficient in the cold too. You might want to run a few tests and see how much it uses to boil water in different conditions.

There are some estimations on fuel figures here:
http://www.diamondspirit.net/adunk/trangia.html

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016 »

boils the mess tin in 4 mins but not sure on how much fuel .think a test would be a good idea.
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

boyo

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016 »

Gas...leaking gas will escape..leaking meths can ruin your food..clothes etc

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016 »

I have used every type of stove going and every fuel to go with them. I always use loads more meths than I anticipate. Even for an overnight I'll bring over half a litre.

I would say the best bet is to go a multI fuel if you have one. It's my go to for expedition or multi day trips actually it's pretty much the first thing I lift and if I don't I regret it in the hills. A large 1l bottle of white gas or unleaded will last me a week. That's tea in the morning, hot lunch, evening meal and an evening drink.  The versatility of the stoves and the range of combustible fuels is impressive.

With no multi fuel stove  I would probably go with gas for the sheer ease of use and likely availability when in country.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016 »

Matt is right about the Multi fuel - when travelling it's unbeatable. You might not boil water as quickly as you might in the likes of an MSR reactor, but you have such a great range of fuel options. When gas cans are unavailable, you can fill up from a petrol pump if needed. It wouldn't be my first fuel choice, but you have the option and that is great :-)
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016 »

I have seen one of those in use and it actually went quite well. The key thing is to practice with it, it's not just a buy light and job done affair. It takes time to get the priming sorted out and temperature control. I was lucky in that I had someone ton show me as the instructions were rather vague with mine.

The key is to get the stove hot enough initially so the fuel will vapouriser, if it's too cold it's a disaster.  A rule of thumb is use is when it begins to click with the metal parts expanding with the heat I'll open the jet and begin cooking. This usually takes 30-60 seconds wind dependant.

torp

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016 »

Thanks Matthew may just invest in one of these and and maybe bring on the Donard camp if I can make it ;)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016 »

Sounds good. Just remember that airlines will be funny with you taking fuel or a bottle smelling of fuel on board. "yes that's from experience". The thing to do is to wash the bottle out with acetone once the fuel has been removed and it will kill the fuel smell. I would also get a few spare O rings that will be used to seal various parts. Don't just get the manufacturers ones go to a plumbers and get them, Stevenson in Bangor are 5p per seal vs the optimus ones for my stove at £4 each.

torp

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016 »

That's very good sound advice Matthew ;)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016 »

That's quite the markup for seals. Bloody hell.

Sounds good. Just remember that airlines will be funny with you taking fuel or a bottle smelling of fuel on board. "yes that's from experience". The thing to do is to wash the bottle out with acetone once the fuel has been removed and it will kill the fuel smell. I would also get a few spare O rings that will be used to seal various parts. Don't just get the manufacturers ones go to a plumbers and get them, Stevenson in Bangor are 5p per seal vs the optimus ones for my stove at £4 each.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016 »

Daylight robbery lad. Suppose if people are willing to pay the money then why would you not charge the pennies.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016 »

Daylight robbery lad. Suppose if people are willing to pay the money then why would you not charge the pennies.

The illusion of specificity is the best marketing tool in the arsenal.

Either people assume that there is some specific tailored quality to the product which makes it better
Or they aren't willing to do some basic research to ensure the item is 100% suitable.

Both are great ways to get more money out of people.

Back pain specific painkillers
RAM marketed as "Windows 10 ready"

Taking a generic product and boldly claiming its made for a specific purpose almost always draws in the two groups of people above.

Are either of you interested in my new hiking guinness? Its like regular cans of guinness, but for hikers and campers
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016 »

Are either of you interested in my new hiking guinness? Its like regular cans of guinness, but for hikers and campers

Class where do I get it. I assume it comes in lightweight cans that are biodegradable and comes with a shovel rather than the traditional glass.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]