Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Meelmore Solo Overnighter  (Read 9870 times)

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
Meelmore Solo Overnighter
« on: October 06, 2014 »

Hi People. Most people will not even know me on this as I haven't been on in about 1 year, and even before that I wasn't an overly active member. I can only blame a new house which has zapped most of my time of recent months  :-X I now have my head above water so I will be on here a lot more and I hope to meet some of you guys along the way.

Over the weekend I had a small solo camp on the summit of Meelmore. I usually can only go camping when the car is packed with luxuries for the other half, but with things and the way it worked out, I was able to do a bit of proper camping :)

I paid for overnight parking at Meelmore Lodge and began the short trip up the lane.

I followed the natural track along the wall and skirted round the bottom of Meelmore. I wanted to do something easy to break me back in. I think that even a few months without any real hiking, will have a massive effect on your fitness. I cycle to work everyday and train at nights so I would say I'm in decent enough shape, but I was still feeling it towards the end of the walk.

Looking up

Looking back down

Stopping for a quick break at the perfect Bivvy spot

I reached the final stage that nearly took it out of me, but with 1 small break for water and a photo on the way up, I was able to make it to the top. The conditions were great as the sun was just setting behind me, so it was warm enough but not 'baking'.

Once at the top, I was able to take in some great views and then pick my space for the night ahead.

I climbed over the wall and took shelter in behind, as the Westerly winds were due to gust up to 80kph. I pitched my tent (which was a Zephyros 1 this time) over the wall and got dinner on and took in some brilliant views. While looking over up onto Bernagh I was able to see one, maybe two people. Anyone on here up?

I forgot to bring a fire log so I retreated back into my tent to watch a film on the phone and have a glass of red. Although the wind was howling all night, I still managed to get a decent nights sleep and slept right through until about 8 the next morning. I made my ration pack Beans, Sausage and Egg breakfast over the Trangia and then packed away before leaving site after a last few photo's. I brought a Gopro and also my good camera and lens, so I had to make use of it. I'll upload some more pictures once I have a flick through them.

One thing I will take from this trip, is that Meelmore is an absolute nightmare for tent pegs...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014 by AdamMcC5 »
If in doubt, get the coffee out

jon007

• Newbie Poster
Re: Meelmore Solo Overnighter
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014 »

Great pictures - looks like it was a superb trip......
Thanks for the tip on the tent pegs !!

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014 »

Great pics and write up thanks for sharing :)
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014 »

Some good shots - I look forward to the GoPro footage
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014 »

Thanks for the report, I need stuff like this to inspire me to get out for another overnighter. That last pic would have been perfect for last moinths photo comp.
think outside, no box required

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014 »

Nice report and photos. 

I found the same problem with the ground and the tent pegs up there.  The soil on Meelbeg seems even thinner, it has beaten me once already.  The next time I try it I'll just take a bivvy bag. 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014 »

Brilliant. Really makes me want to get off the sofa and do a summit camp, has been a while.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014 »

Good stuff, you can't beat a quiet solo camp, it's like having the hills to yourself. As Liam said, that last photo looking out of the tent was a sure winner for the comp. Karma.

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014 »

Thanks to everyone for replying to my post  :) just waiting for the rest of my photos off my camera but I found some more on my phone that I thought I may as well put up. I plan to get at least one night a month out camping through the winter (maybe more) so if anyone is thinking about having an overnighter and they don't mind the company then just let me know. I'll also be posting up on here where I intent to go and it's open to anyone obviously  :)

Neilers

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014 »

Great post!

This is something I would love to try some time. Something I am curious about is you say you forgot a firelog. Is that just a regular fire log as an alternative to a traditional camp fire?

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014 »

Thanks Neilers.

Regarding the firelog, I usually just buy one from the shop before heading up, as the mournes can be really limited on the firewood front. I like to get in a habit of carrying one so at least I know I will definitely have fire when I pitch up  :)

Neilers

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014 »

Great thanks Adam that's good to know. Will bring one when i eventually venture up the mournes for the night!

hillbilly

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014 »

Inspirational. I am useless at the technological side of hiking so I really enjoyed being transported to the mournes and visually enjoying your trip. Keep it coming I for one can't get enough.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014 by hillbilly »

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014 »

Nice write up Adam and great pics. I especially like your one of Doan, it's where Whorya and myself had our first summit camp and that's how I got hooked!

Sitting on a mountain top, socks on my hands as Id no gloves, and drinking wine, good times!!! ;D
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014 »

Nice write up Adam and great pics. I especially like your one of Doan, it's where Whorya and myself had our first summit camp and that's how I got hooked!

Sitting on a mountain top, socks on my hands as Id no gloves, and drinking wine, good times!!! ;D

Nothing like going into work on Monday after a weekend like that......apart from the verrucas on your hands  :D

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]