Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mourne's trip  (Read 4700 times)

Windy

• Top Poster
Mourne's trip
« on: February 25, 2014 »

Looking a few wild camp spots as planning a two dayer around  Aug time. Any GR would be appreciated. SP Meelmore going clockwise ,Thanks
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

clairebear

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
Re: Mourne's trip
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014 »

Stay high as midges awful low down......

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014 »

Advice well heeded Claire , thanks.I have rejigged the route we had planned on the mourne wall .
Looking for any advice for the following route . Plan to go up early and stay up overnight . Looking for a water stop, route hazards etc
SP Meelmore lODGE
1. Slievenaglogh
2. Commedagh.
3. Donard ( Back track onto the Brandy Pad)
4. Slieve Beg
5. Cove Mountain
6.Slievelamagan
7.Binnian's
8.Slievenaglogh
9.Muck
10.Carn
11.Doan (Time permitting)
12.Loughshannag
13. Meelbeg
14. Meelmore
15. Bearnagh
FP Meelmore Lodge

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014 »

That is a bit of an unusual route as the mourne wall doesn't go near cove, beg or lamagan. Have a readav this http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/meets-places-trips-and-reviews/my-mourne-wall-walk-18813/ from a wall walk I did last august. Less than 12 hours would walk it if you are reasonably fit. I walked it clockwise and have a notion of doing it the other way this year. If you start at Carrick little you are only a few hundred meters from the wall to start. These is a map somewhere in that link.
Any more questions just shout.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014 by phil_b »

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014 »

Thanks Phil good blog  I was planning on using Mourne wall as the trip and will more than likely do that later . But like the look of Beg ,Cove and the Slievelamagan. 10 Hours good going  I'm not planning on rushing  lol

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014 »

Wow that is a challenging route there Windy especially with an overnight pack.  I can't believe you are leaving out Ben Crom  ;)

If you are a keen and fit walker I'm sure the section up until Donard whilst being fairly tough is very doable.  Have a search on the forum and you'll find detail about the water pipe on Commedagh. 

By this stage Beg, Cove and Lamagan would look very daunting and very committing.  Although if you are looking to do a long day then stopping at The Saddle might not be an option. 

If you continue on up then you may be committed to camping high up on this ridge

An option at this point if you don't like the look of the next ridge line would be to drop off the Brandy Pad and camp along the Annalong Valley, there are lots of places along the river or you could even go down into the wood itself.

The next day you climb up past the blue lough and ascend Binnian thereby bypassing Beg/Cove/Lamagan.  It would seem natural to do Wee Binnian and Moolieve next and they should present little problem.

Slievenaglogh could be easily contoured.  Muck is tough but once up, Carn and Slieve Loughshannagh would be easy wins.

Right through Meelbeg, Meelmore and Bearnagh there are ready exits to cut short and pick up the Mourne Way.  Bearnagh would be rough at the end of day two.

I'm sorry but I just seem to feel obligated to suggest ways to cut short the walk.  That perhaps says more about me  :D. It looks rough!!

The are some great places on your route, it would be a shame to feel obligated to just drive through it all without having the time to take it in.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014 »

whoRya thanks for the hints. Getting plenty of info of the site. Does anyone have  route cards ,working one out its been a while and like to keep my hand in

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]