Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: New gear and finding Percy Bysshe cave..  (Read 8127 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
New gear and finding Percy Bysshe cave..
« on: September 30, 2013 »

As the weather forecast was to be good over the weekend we decided to head out to Annalong wood to test out some new gear and hopefully find Percy Bysshe cave..

My new cheap and cheerful cooking system which will be used in all forests from now on providing I will be lighting a camp fire a lot lighter and more compact than my usual trangia stove ;D ;D

012 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

Another bit of new kit for me the Vango Sherpa 60+10 ruc  Main reason for this pack was size (always seem to carry more gear than I need) and the price was in my range £75

089 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

Not a great start on this though its going back to the shop on Monday for a new one or my money back as its popped a seam already (bad times) but it was packed so I went ahead and took it with me anyway. >:( >:(

090 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

So that was that and off we went we parked the cars at Carrick plant £5 for an overnight stay and headed up the Annalong track destination hotel Annalong..

017 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

016 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

The weather was great not to much wind and a nice temp you wouldn't have thought we were coming to the end of September at all.  Its a nice easy dander up to the campsite and about 35-40mins see's you up there.  It was tents pitched and straight into wood cutting and gathering for the night we got straight into this as we had planned to go for a wee explore on up the track to try and find Percy Bysshe cave (second time around)

047 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

048 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

We knew the rough location of the cave that is we knew it was up there somewhere so off we went stopping and taking in the views along the way.
On up the track it splits and heads off up towards Cove it was here we got chatting to a couple who told us that if we found the "Diving Board" a large overhanging slab of rock then al we had to do was head left and up and we would find the cave entrance.

020 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

Found it and next the cave. Its quite a small entrance but gets a lot bigger as soon as you get in..

029 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

031 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

026 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

024 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

A few more pics outside the cave of some of the rock formations and the views from our vantage point..

036 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

040 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

034 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

By now it was getting near dinner time so it was a quick hop back down to the campsite to get the fire going and get a bite to eat and maybe even a wee drink or two..

054 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

069 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

All in all a great day we were really pleased that we found the cave it only a quick scoot up from the campsite and if you walk on over you will come across a wee lake also a great way to put in an hour or so with the kids. The weather held up well with only a couple of light showers later on in the night so it was up with a tarp and no worries at all..  nice to stay dry when your having a few we talked late into the small hours and all had a good lie on in the morning.. A great wee trip.....

Glenn.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: New gear and finding Percy Bysshe cave..
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013 »

Great write up Glenn,thanks for sharing

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013 »

Brilliant Glenn. Looks like a top night. Can't beat a grill for fire cooking either, makes life much easier. Even if you're not cooking meat directly on it you can still use it to keep pots much more stable.

I've never managed to make it to Percy Bysshe caves yet, only Cove. Were they hard to find?

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013 »

Hi Glenn, looks like you picked the weather for it, thanks for the write up.

Did you go far into the cave, theres three chambers in it, when you go into the first section you climb up to your right and that leads on to the next section.

RB.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013 »

Brilliant Glenn. Looks like a top night. Can't beat a grill for fire cooking either, makes life much easier. Even if you're not cooking meat directly on it you can still use it to keep pots much more stable.

I've never managed to make it to Percy Bysshe caves yet, only Cove. Were they hard to find?

No RedLeader its handy enough to find you just need to head up to the top rock face as you look at it from the main path,  once you are at the bottom of the rock face stay left and you will find the diving board,  keep going left and up when you can and the cave sits at the bottom of a large internal corner once you're up there you can't miss it.  If I had of thought I should have taken a wee photie from the path and marked its location but as I say left then up after the diving board.....

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013 »

Hi Glenn, looks like you picked the weather for it, thanks for the write up.

Did you go far into the cave, theres three chambers in it, when you go into the first section you climb up to your right and that leads on to the next section.

RB.

Hi Rumblebum yeah we made it into the second chamber but it was heads only for a wee look maybe climb in next time if we are feelinga bit braver lol... :o :o

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013 »

And once again the owner of another new Vango Sherpa lets see how this one goes ;D ;D

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013 »

This excellent writeup has been immortalized for all time in the NI-Wild Blog.

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2013/10/new-gear-and-finding-percy-bysshe-cave/

Please give it a share on Facebook / Twitter or your social media network of choice so as a wide an audience as possible can appreciate it's genius!

Anyone can get their musings into the blog, just post something interesting on NI-Wild with at least some text and if possible, pictures and the blog fairy will do the rest. Anything is admissible - trip reports, advice and gear reviews are especially welcome.

Please contact if you would like any changes or a login for the Blog

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]