Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: FRIDAY 13TH GIBBS ISLAND  (Read 8452 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
FRIDAY 13TH GIBBS ISLAND
« on: September 16, 2013 »

195 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

Gibbs Island, it was somewhere we had yet to explore we knew there was a dark spooky wood on it and it was FRIDAY 13th so after a few MAN UP TABLETS off we went.  My friend and his son joined us and as this was their first wild camp I thought somewhere handy and not too far from the car would suit best so after reading Dowsers write up on Gibbs this would be the perfect spot and boy were we right, a nice bit of woodland to tuck ourselves into and stunning views out over Strangford.

199 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

085 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

099 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

We got pitched up and gathered in enough firewood for the night before the light faded.

080 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

thirsty work this old setting camp so it was down to the shore to take in the views before dark and a quick beer before dinner, there was no pleasure in this it was purely for thirst!!!

105 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

It was standard issue when it got dark fire lit and dinner and a bit of fun around the fire.

158 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

111 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

116 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

138 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

136 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

147 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

This is when it all went a bit pear shaped these following pictures were not staged this really did happen we had a visit from the Gibbs Island lunatic wine drinking Phantom we were all lucky to make it through till morning but I don't think any of us will be quite the same!!! ::)

180 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

183 by Glenn B119, on Flickr

All in all a first class spot for a quick overnighter but be warned ear plugs are a must as there are thousands of crows roosting here and at dusk and dawn they really let you know they are there.
Litter is a bit of a problem up the hill in the middle of the woods probably left from the summer BBB (blue bag brigade) but a quick clean up into a couple of bin bags made a bit of a dent in it. A very enjoyable night and will be back for lots more.

Glenn..

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013 by Glenn B »
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
Re: FRIDAY 13TH GIBBS ISLAND
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013 »

Nothing beats it Glenn, they are great times with the kids.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013 »

That's a great wee write up Glenn and I'm really glad you enjoyed Gibbs. Friday 13th was quite a ballsy night to chose too.  Superstitious or not it's defo gonna add an element of fear factor  :o

Gibbs is one of my favourite spots for a quick overnighter with the family.

It's one of those spots that if you abuse it you'll lose it though.  If you keep the place clean, tidy and stay below the radar it will be there for when you fancy a wee handy camp.

Well done for getting out there.

8)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013 »

I've been wanting to try Gibbs for ages but haven't made it that far yet. It looks like a great spot.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013 »

@ whorya 100% mate if it gets them out of the house and gets them LIVING life instead of watching it, im all for it... ;D

@ Dowser,  Your too right mate its a stunning spot.  I took on board what you said in your pm about maybe bumping into the dog walkers who use the island so wee hatched a wee plan to stay in their good books as such.
. When wee arrived on Friday armed with the National Trust member card, wee set about filling two large clear bin liners with assorted rubbish mostly empty bottles and beer cans and oddly enough Two full cans as well so we knew it deffo wasn't any NI-WILDERS who left these,  :o :o     The bags where then placed in view of the path up through the wood for the benefit of the dog walkers who were only too glad to see we were making a positive impact on the island and not the usual Blue Bag Brigade who practise the old bring it,  use it,  chuck it ethos.
  So on Saturday morning instead of "Oh look dear those camping louts are back again wrecking the place lets report them to the Trust" it was "Well dear lets tell the other dog walkers about those two great fellas and their kids doing their bit and keeping *OUR* island clean and tidy"

* Easy 20min clear up, dog walkers good books and the two bags of rubbish slung in a skip in Comber dump on the way home, job done* 8) 8)

@ RedLeader get yourself down you wont believe how beautiful it is. But remember the CROWS :o :o :o

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013 »

Excellent stuff Glenn,  there's so many top spots around to camp at, sometimes it can be all to handy to camp in the mournes rather than try out new and undiscovered places.

Well done and nice pics mate.

RB :)
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013 »

This excellent advice has been immortalized for all time in the NI-Wild Blog and will be entered into the draw for a Zippo Handwarmer. You can see it here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2013/09/gibbs-island-friday-13th/

Please give it a share on Facebook / Twitter or your social media network of choice so as a wide an audience as possible can appreciate it's genius!

Anyone can get their musings into the blog, just post something interesting on NI-Wild with at least some text and if possible, pictures and the blog fairy will do the rest. Anything is admissible - trip reports, advice and gear reviews are especially welcome.

Please contact if you would like any changes or a login for the Blog

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013 »

That's a cracking spot Glenn, i've never been but it's now been added to my expanding list of places to visit.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013 »

That's a cracking spot Glenn, i've never been but it's now been added to my expanding list of places to visit.

Its a stunning wee spot brilliant for a quick low key night npt the sort of spot that you could have a large group at...

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]