Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Less Expensive Outdoor Kit  (Read 15999 times)

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: Less Expensive Outdoor Kit
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011 »

in no way what so ever did i instruct,or advice that other's should do what i did in respect of trying on a coat in a retail shop before i bought it online,this was a personnel account of how i bought this coat

I don't see any reply that said you did. There was opinion aired on the method described in your personal account of that particular coat. There are some who agree with it, and some who don't.

I will openly admit to having 'tried in store & bought elsewhere' at least once, but am less inclined to do it again having since thought about the matter.

Also keeps the retailer on his toes which should ultimately lead to better local prices and services  ;)

It certainly does!

I know there are overheads for running a shop but the increased prices in shops are OTT and I am sure you still make loads of profit (why else would you do it?). Business that sell online have overheads and can still keep there prices down.

The overheads really do not compare: rates, fancy fixtures, theft, staff, lighting, heating are all many times more than online outlets. The record stores didn't make enough profit to stay open when amazon and play.com came along. For that, I'm as guilty as the next. It's complex, and wider economic situations and lifestyle changes pressure our approach to retail... in a sense most of these things are not essential like food, but they are all part of having an enjoyable (and even healthy) lifestyle /keeping us sane... which isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't make a lot of other people unhappy  ;)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011 »

Sorry guy's I wasn't making any personnel attacks. Apologies if I gave that impression. All I am saying is, it works both ways. Buy online but also don't forget the retailer as well as it might be cheaper as pointed out by a previous contributor to this discussion. At the moment I can't really buy in outdoor shops because of my 3 day week but I am going back to the old days whereby I am putting my aside in my local outdoor shop through a "Club Scheme".. I have half of the price of a new Bearghaus Jacket that I am looking at nearly paid for. It maybe the long way around but I will get it eventually. Don’t get me wrong, I have bought stuff online. Usually things that I can’t get locally.
Where I work, we don’t charge for trying garments on as this would not be feasible in our situation. We want people to come into our shops. Also it is not really true to say the small high street shop is making profits, they are just making a living as with all the staff that are working there. Online Shopping versus High street shopping. Online wins as they don’t have to employ as many staff or their set up cost are not high. Like Like twentyclicks says they don't have electric, telephone and rates bills like a shopowner has and it can be done from their homes. So, as high street shopper is serving the local area and some of you may have family members and friends employed. Just a thought. Again, I don't have anything against buying online.

cerbera147

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011 »

Thought I'd chirp in here  ;D

Just before Christmas I bought a pair of Regatta Ghyllbeck boots from TK Maxx for £30. I could have put out £100+ at Cotswolds but after reading some comments here I chose to search TK Maxx and Sports Direct.
These boots fitted perfectly in the shop and have been comfortable ever since as I've been breaking them in  :)

I also picked up cheap gaiters from Tesco for £7. I have since tested these through muddy puddles past my ankles. Not a drop of water or dampness entered my foot area  :D Shame the dog didn't have the same protection  :o

My point being the cheaper stuff isn't always terrible. Of course your mileage may vary  :)

I got my daughter a pair of these from TK Maxx. Haven't tested these but they are comfortable.

BTW I'll go where things are cheapest; online or bricks & mortar  ;D
But I'll always give preference where customer service is particularly good like Cotswolds. Some retailers prices are just way out and they really need to take a fresh look at things.
If I was charged to try something on I'd turn immediately and walk out. I love visiting outdoors shops and often buy on impulse plus it's easier to hide from the missus  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]