Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mourne Wall - Saturday 11th August 2012  (Read 3541 times)

MikeD

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Mourne Wall - Saturday 11th August 2012
« on: August 09, 2012 »

Yo peeps, Saturdays weather looks class, so I'm considering a training mission on Saturday.  Full kit, around the wall, dinner and camp somewhere nice at the end or whenever I've had enough.... Then maybe, potentially, to go again the opposite direction on Sunday...

Planning an early start on Saturday, also looking to crack on at a good pace, as trying to get the fitness levels up a bit......

If anyone fancies it, or if anyone is camping in the Mournes at the weekend, maybe give me a shout, ta :-)

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: Mourne Wall - Saturday 11th August 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012 »

Would have joined you for Sunday (maybe the camp) but I'm ill  >:(
Enjoy the weather!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012 »

Yo peeps, Saturdays weather looks class, so I'm considering a training mission on Saturday.  Full kit, around the wall, dinner and camp somewhere nice at the end or whenever I've had enough.... Then maybe, potentially, to go again the opposite direction on Sunday...

Planning an early start on Saturday, also looking to crack on at a good pace, as trying to get the fitness levels up a bit......

If anyone fancies it, or if anyone is camping in the Mournes at the weekend, maybe give me a shout, ta :-)

I see you intend carrying full kit. My advice would be to travel as lightly as possible, it's a beast of a walk without kit never mind with a heavy backpack. We tried it in 2009 carrying full kit and it was a complete slog. Have since done the route a couple of times with just a light pack and it's a far more enjoyable experience.

As for going the opposite direction on Sunday... sounds like you have just invented a new challenge!

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012 »

Cheers Paul, perversely I understand the torment I'm entering into :-)  But as well, I'm just gonna stop when I'm too tired and the views nice and make some dinner.... I suppose at a push it'll be the full circuit....  trying my best to keep the pack light as will have to carry a few litres of water on board....

The only time I did it with full kit, was a roasting day, we got from Hares Gap to Binnian and we\I were totally wrecked + it was dark, so, it'll be interesting to see what happens this time!

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012 »

Cheers Paul, perversely I understand the torment I'm entering into :-)  But as well, I'm just gonna stop when I'm too tired and the views nice and make some dinner.... I suppose at a push it'll be the full circuit....  trying my best to keep the pack light as will have to carry a few litres of water on board....

The only time I did it with full kit, was a roasting day, we got from Hares Gap to Binnian and we\I were totally wrecked + it was dark, so, it'll be interesting to see what happens this time!

Good stuff. First time we attempted it, we hadn't a clue what we were at and packed far too heavily, real kitchen sink stuff. Beautiful day to start off but the weather changed and was stormy by the time we eventually made it up Muck and over towards Loughshannagh (2nd mistake was not checking the weather forecast). Spent the night camped out between Carn and Loughshannagh sitting out a storm - read on here the following week that some lads had to abandon camp somewhere down in Annalong as they got flooded out of it!

In fairness, I learned so much from that experience and all it's mini-disasters!

It's a really great walk - kind of thing you say you'll never do again on finishing but within a few weeks are planning again.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with it!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]