Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: What do you think of the current cold weather (Jan10)  (Read 9227 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/8447023.stm

I know it's bloody freezing and the roads are a nightmare but I'm still enjoying it. Is nice when it's hot in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter. Just a shame I've not managed to get sledging! We were in Scotland over the new year and on the drive back to the boat the car temperature gauge was showing a toasty -14c. I'm planning on doing a bit of waking on the Down coast on Sat - hope it's not too icy!

How's everyone else finding it?

666_pack

• Hero Poster
Re: What do you think of the current cold weather (Jan10)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010 »

i think it's great, at least it feels like winter! Wish I had gotten into the hills to enjoy it properly but should have some fun this weekend. ;D
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010 »

I love it, although I am rather jealous we aren't getting the snow fall that other parts of the UK are.  The great thing is with it being so cold its also been very dry, so it makes a nice change from the mild, wet weather we normally get at this time of year.

Whilst on the subject, it really irritates me when the weather forecasters and news readers come off with statements such as "Its the worst weather since...".  Surely weather is subjective and cannot be referred to as the "worst"?  Personally I think its the best weather we've had in about ten years  :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010 »

I love it, although I am rather jealous we aren't getting the snow fall that other parts of the UK are.  The great thing is with it being so cold its also been very dry, so it makes a nice change from the mild, wet weather we normally get at this time of year.

Whilst on the subject, it really irritates me when the weather forecasters and news readers come off with statements such as "Its the worst weather since...".  Surely weather is subjective and cannot be referred to as the "worst"?  Personally I think its the best weather we've had in about ten years  :)

I'd agree. The media is fascinated with facts and figures and anywhere they can squeeze in some global warming facts is always a bonus.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010 »

The media is over concerned with over hyping anything newsworthy, bad things are out there in the world  and having an awareness of these things is good, but we don't need to know about everything bad thats happening, otherwise you wouldn't get any sleep in your skin eating mite ridden bed  ;)

I find it so ridiculous that I just can't be arsed with alot of the media; Bird flu everyone is going to die, MRSA its the end of the world everybody in hospital is going to die, global warming every time you put on the kettle you are killing innocent children (even though broadcasting the report is worse for the environment), swine flu everyone is going to die, its cold outside everyone is going to die. What a load of arse!

Personally I'd rather have this cold weather with a bit of snow and no rain. Id welcome having more extreme weather conditions here, in the winter we'd get snow and in the summer we'd have proper sun, and in between we'd just have normal Norn Iron wet weather, better than what we have at the mo!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]