Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Forest camp sites  (Read 6696 times)

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
Forest camp sites
« on: May 07, 2018 »

Hi I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for campsite with trees. The more trees the better. We love forests.  I am limited in mobility and can not back pack in..looking for good family friend camp sites or even better a farmer with a bit of wooded land willing to rent out a space but would need to be able to reach it by car. We want to avoid crowded  areas or places with lots of drinking and parties.  We also very much want to be able to build a fire but we are planning to buy a camping trailer in the next couple.of weeks so we can bring an above ground  fire pit as I know few places allow fires on the ground. A shame because we would have liked to try out some of the ideas for cooking in small pits... my sons are involved in scouting as well and we have been playing about quite a bit with outdoor cooking. I have a dog that never leaves my side, so only places that allow a pet.
Happy with modest facilities or no facilities. Do not fancy holiday camp type places.

So far we are looking into round lake near five mile town, but any other suggestions for places with trees would be very much appreciated.

Also if anyone happens to be selling a small camping trailer, or can advise any place cheaper than Halfords, please let me know. Been checking gumtree so may find something there, but someone beat us to the best one and the only one the right size now is almost as expensive as halfords and quite rusted.

Thank you for time.

NIPupper

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
Re: Forest camp sites
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018 »

there is some good camping at gosford forest park in co armagh. there are designated fire pits and large areas that can be camped on. The ranger is helpful and it may be possible to find a quiet spot to set up camp. i think there is 4 or 5 main places for camping. mostly i've seen family's camping there, no parties or that sort of thing. there is also lots of trees, even some giant redwood and coastal redwood and monkey puzzles etc. it's a really nice place with lots to explore.

update, it looks like fire are not aloud, only BBQ's.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018 by NIPupper »

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018 »

Thanks we will definitely look into this one.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018 »

There's a scout camp site at Castlewellan (or is it Tollymore, I can't 1900% remember) and I think when it's not in use the site will let people use it. But as a general rule, in my experience anywhere that has trees don't let people have open fires because people use all the dead wood that's lying around and there's the risk of a larger fire. I've not even seen many commercial campsites that will even allow a garden burner, suppose they've potentially be burned before (aha, pun intended!).

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018 »

Just to add, I think this came up before but Rams Island will tick all your boxes - easy to get to, suitable for low mobility, has trees and allows open fires but no dogs! I seem to remember you mentioning having dogs before but if you could leave them at home I think Rams would be perfect for you.

Margaret

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018 »

Nah, I couldn't leave the younger dog. Had him since he was 5 1/2 weeks and he has never left my side. He has never been alone and I don't think he would take well to it. Not to mention he keeps my feet nice and toasty.I had to keep him on a waist leash the whole time at Round lake as he cries like he is being killed if I move away from him. Yes he is spoilt git, but we do love him and he kind of saved me once. I faint sometimes, my blood counts aren't the best. He usually gives warning, but I went outside anyway once, fainted face down in a huge puddle and he had the intelligence to hold my head out of the water until I came too. My son would never leave him either.

The older one we leave with and the neighbour feeds her, as she was rescue and even after all these years she still only likes us in limited doses, then goes off to hide in a crate with a blanket over it, and she is easily terrified bulbous noises or strange situations and can be quite unpredictable with other dogs. Another reason I wouldn't leave them both alone together.

But yes without the dog Rams Island would be perfect. 

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]