Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: the short way around  (Read 3831 times)

theharve01

• Newbie Poster
the short way around
« on: February 24, 2016 »

hi,
im obviosly new to this place, looking forward to joining the community for help on questions and new trails across our great land, ireland that is.

i am a fairly avid hiker, i try go out as often as possible. i do the tain way at least once a year on a one day hike. i have also hiked Kilimanjaro back in Jan 2014.

but my best ever experience by far is when me and a friend last year hiked (we called it the short way around, ripping off ewan and charlies motorcycle show) from bloody bridge at the mourne mountains (well we actually started right at the coast) and headed west towards donegal. we hiked to balyshannon in 6.5 days. we camped out in fields and forests every night. cooked most of our food. it was an unbelievable experience. it worked out at about 210k. even though it was last summer, we were still waking up and putting on wet cloths. it rained nearly every day

we are planning on doing tralee to wexford this year and i was wondering if anyone here has taken that route and if so can they recommend any routes or decent camp stops.

i will be doing my research over the next few months but any help would be great.

Campervic

• Newbie Poster
Re: the short way around
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016 »

Last summer was such a washout, I went to Kerry for a fortnight and came home a bit early due to incessant rain. I'm not that familiar with the Tralee to Wexford route but just wanted to wish you good luck, and hope for both our sakes that we don't have another wet summer.

theharve01

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016 »

its hard to plan a dry week even in the summer. hopefully we do get a decent one this year. thanks

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016 »

Welcome to the forum, I've no idea about the route but would love to hear how you get on, good luck.
think outside, no box required

theharve01

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016 »

i will do landy liam. i will stick up the route details that we plan on taking, then the ones we end up taking. routes usually change on these long ones as we notice locations on the hike.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]