Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Rock climbing shoes  (Read 4543 times)

wmoulds

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Newbie Poster
Rock climbing shoes
« on: February 06, 2013 »

Well after finding out last night that when I wear rock climbing shoes I am actually some kind of rock climbing god  :o it only seems fair to the world now to go out and buy a pair for myself. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it   ;D

I understand the fit is the most important thing, but is there any advice you can give?
Velcro or lace?
Whats the difference between a beginners shoe and an ordinary one?
Any recommended brand or model for durability and quality? etc.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T S Eliot

Are we there yet?

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Re: Rock climbing shoes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013 »

The choice on lace up and velcor is a personal choice.. mine (Red Chillies) are laces, which i love, but know ppl with velcro who wouldnt change.. My regular climbing buddy loves 5/10's, but im not familiar with them.
With my shoes, which i went a 1/2 size bigger than what i normally am,  i really do think they have stretched in length from being 'a little uncomfortable' to, just grand for me. My friend bought a full size bigger and now, maybe thinks they are a little big..
You need to try 'before you buy' so to speak, ask advice, feel comfortable, Jackson Sports or Cotwolds.. is the way to go. Don't buy of the internet! Unless you have tried them in Cotwold or Jacksons first! Happy feet mean happy climbing!  Hi de Hi!  :-[  :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013 by AnnieAnne »

wmoulds

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013 »

Hi de ho  :P Thanks. Think I'll head to cotswold later then, there's a pair of laced red chili Durango shoes on deal I'd like to try. The Velcro version of it is £25 more which is crazy!
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T S Eliot

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013 »

£25 of pure quality more.

I'm a fan of velcro, but if your happy with laces, then you could put £25 towards a harness.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Typo-On

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013 »

Hi de ho  :P Thanks. Think I'll head to cotswold later then, there's a pair of laced red chili Durango shoes on deal I'd like to try. The Velcro version of it is £25 more which is crazy!

I found Cotswolds really helpful, I agree with everything Anne said. I remember the guy saying you want your toes curled a bit as they then provide more support. Mine are laced whi h is fine for me, we were looking for new shoes for Megan and she said they 'HAVE TO BE VELCRO' so she already has a preference lol
I think it doesn't really matter unless your taking them on and off lots, which I don't but some of these rock shoes look like torture contraptions shaping your foot to look like a banana so maybe that's when you want to take it in and off everytime. Tbh I'm rambling now about things I don't know about :)
'Why are you wearing your pajamas?'
'They're not pajamas! It's my warm-up suit'
'Why do you need warming up for?'
'For doing stuff'
'What kind of stuff?'
'Super-cool stuff you wouldn't understand'
'Like sleeping?'

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013 »

Laces for me just shouts out having to take your gloves off in the cold to put your shoes on. But then again I suppose thats why climbing season starts in the milder weather.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013 »

Some handy information about shoes and the style of climbing you intend to do here:

http://goo.gl/BYWDK

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013 »

I suppose velcro would be handy if you doing some climbs that require walking down again via an exit route (i.e. you would have your trail shoes clipped to your harness while climbing, now you know why they have those little loops on the back  ;) )  Laces would be fine if only putting them on at the start of the day, i.e indoor stuff. I have laces on my red chillis and find them really comfortable, but i hear they should be a little tight, but i'm not doing anything remotely extreme that it will make any difference  :)

think outside, no box required

wmoulds

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013 »

Took the advice given on board, went to cotswold and tried most of the shoes and I finally got the red chili spirit vcr shoe. It cost a bit more than what I wanted to spend but without looking at the price they where the most comfortable so I got them. Unfortunately I didn't get to try the durango's with laces but the Velcro ones where too tight. Anyway hope these will prove to be a great buy!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]