Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Worst and Best Bit of Kit  (Read 5166 times)

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Worst and Best Bit of Kit
« on: February 09, 2011 »

Hey guys

I have seen loads of you come on today but not doing very much.

I would like to spend my last £50 of birthday money on some kit (I am a kit feend) and would like to know what is you best and worst bit of kit.

So far my best bit is my new Osprey Talon 33 and worst is a trekmates fleece liner that has lasted on trip when caving.
No one goes inside to clear their head

MG1

• Hero Poster
Re: Worst and Best Bit of Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011 »

I'd have to go with my salomon speed cross 2 trail shoes. I wasn't sure about changing from boots to trail shoes but there top class. Loads of grip, my feet do get wet but they let the water out just as easy.

http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/product.aspx?id=3962&aid=2

Worst bit of kit has to be my camelback always leaks, but i may have just got a dodgy one. 666_pack got one he's had no bother with it.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011 »

I've just purchased a pair of Walsh PB trail runners (loadsagrip) so hopefully they'll be my best piece of kit  ;D .
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/reviews/shoes/off-road-shoes/walsh-pb-trainer/27137.html

Can't think of anything bad i've got that wasn't so cheap i didn't expect much from it anyway  ???
think outside, no box required

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011 »

My best bit of kit that I'm happiest with would be my lightwave faspack rucksack , took me a a few goes at getting it packed correctly so no lumps in my back , I can use it for overnighters or a day on the hills , I even use it when out with wife and kids for the day , everything can be stuffed into it and it has got a few good soakings and everything inside is nice and dry

My worst would be my merrell Moab shoes , used them a few times in the wet but on one trip the toes started to come away , emailed customer service and they where not much use and I brought back to shop with no receipt , sent off and sent back and told usual wear & tare caused this .. >:(
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011 »

I'd have to say my packs have served me pretty well.

OMM Jiri 35ltr bought from outdoors magic really light pack back support doubles as foam mat. Great for MMM.

Berghaus Arete 45ltr good climbing pack, has gear loops,iceaxe holders really sturdy pack.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011 »

Hmm... I'd be hard pushed to pick a best/worst bit of kit.  Nothing really stands out as being breathtakingly good, it all just does its job without drawing attention to itself.  Perhaps that is praise enough in itself!  At the same time I've never had a bad bit of kit because I spend so long reading reviews and checking gear out in the shop that by the time I get it there are no real surprises.  Of course there are pieces of kit I've bought that I haven't been keen on, but they weren't bad products, just didn't suit me.

I guess the simple things bring me the most joy.  The humble Spork makes me happy every time I use it and I still love the amount of things you can do with a Buff!  Oh, and like MG1 I love OMM rucksacks and particularly the DuoMat back rest.  Excellent to sit on at lunch breaks and around camp, and whilst I'm not 'ard enough to sleep on one by itself it's great for boosting the insulation and comfort of a closed cell mat :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011 »

I chop and change what I use fairly regularly. Only thing that springs to mind that always impresses me is the Trangia Mini. Simple, bombproof and reasonably light.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011 »

Yep I too gotta sing the praises of OMM packs. I have on original 32 for fast and light overnights and the MMM and the Villian (45ltr) for winter camps. Both great lightweight packs with a host of features and carrying options.

But my favourite bit of kit has to be my Montane Extreme smock. I generally spend most of my hill time in a baselayer and windproof no matter what the weather so when I get to camp I need some instant warmth and the smock always performs. I know it doesn’t have the packability of down, but it works in all conditions and any location be it a freezing summit camp or last option toilet block bivvi.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011 »

or last option toilet block bivvi.

Now that's what I call dedicated to testing :D

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011 »

Best gear - all of it  ;D
Ok, for £50... a buff and a montane wind smock. My most used, versatile, recommended bits of kit.
or an Icebreaker 150 zip-neck.... or a Rab Powerstretch which absolutely everybody raves about.

Worst gear - nothing really: usually brilliant but just not what I needed.
Berghaus Cornice Jacket - superb, but I wanted something shorter and lighter.
Karrimor Sabre 45 Pack - superb, but I wanted something lighter and wider top.
Raichle Mountain Trail boots - 1st pair uber comfy, but a poorly placed seam cut the toes off me once they softened. Amended in the next version, which are still uber comfy and in use 4-5years on. (now Mammut)
Any stove with a clicky piezo ignition - I can never get it to work, but the stoves are always fine.

Absolute worst - Trestex gaiters. Ok, just loose straps everywhere and don't stay up /not very breathable. Going to take them to the alps and probably put a crampon through them so I have an excuse to replace them  ;)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]