Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Newcastle Athletics Club - Hill and Dale Series 2013  (Read 25542 times)

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks

Well done guys!
The weather can only be better from now on...
Hope the legs don't suffer too much tomorrow... you may want to do a short run to loosen them out. It'll hurt lots but they'll thank you for it sooner.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos

Well done to the pair of you for getting out there, i'm sure it was a test of endurance in that weather and the muddy conditions under foot.

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
Newcastle Athletics Club - Hill and Dale Series 2013
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013 »

Nice one lads well done!

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013 »

Well done guys.. I've entered into the 10k coastal challenge in May. If anyone is interested in being a running buddy let me know.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.

Was thinking of entering this myself but I'm busy that day.  Heard its a good route but tight in areas as its a path.

Goodluck

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

Only a few days until race 2 at Tollymore (Thurs 18th, top car park), dry run this evening at 6.15pm which i hope to make if i can get home in time.

Just been reading the race report and a certain forum member gets a mention  8)

Another bottom 10 finisher we felt should be mentioned is Andrew Dow in 217th place, in his first ever Hill and Dale race. We expect his work colleagues PJ and Paul from McGrady Financial Services will be offering him some useful advice on how to improve and move further up the field or else guidance on where best to buy a head torch for next week.

full report available here (these reports are really worth a read, lots of hidden jokes, even funnier if you actually know the people they are talking about)
http://www.newcastleac.org/?p=5299#more-5299
think outside, no box required

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

Another bottom 10 finisher we felt should be mentioned is Andrew Dow in 217th place, in his first ever Hill and Dale race. We expect his work colleagues PJ and Paul from McGrady Financial Services will be offering him some useful advice on how to improve and move further up the field or else guidance on where best to buy a head torch for next week.

I've been getting serious stick about this in work!!! The flippin' report is even getting published in the Mourne Observer later in the week  :'(

But, I ain't gonna be beaten...  This is the motivation I've been waiting for to get me started on my long and painful journey into the world of reasonable fitness.  I will be entering again this week to try and improve my position in the field and hopefully rule out any need for taking a head torch with me  ;)

Just to prove I wasn't a total physical wreck after the race here's a pic of me and Landyliam 20 minutes after, at the prize giving looking all at home in a warm, welcoming pub in Castlewellan:

8)

If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013 »

Yeah I've walked along it with DofE groups so I know it can be a tad tight. Should be good fun though..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

Just to prove I wasn't a total physical wreck after the race here's a pic of me and Landyliam 20 minutes after, at the prize giving looking all at home in a warm, welcoming pub in Castlewellan:
and just look at your wee cute chubby cheeks  ;D

I did the dry run as planned with the "slow beginners" group, boy it was tough, i managed to keep up with them for the first third despite a slight stich, then started drifting back a bit and they waited a minute for me at the top of each hill, after 2 thirds i found my stride and was near the front runners, i find i cope well on the very steep bits where walking is as fast as running, some encourging remarks from Joe helped, the most memorable being "hurry up you useless f**ker" but after a long downhill near at the end the stitch returned with a vengence and i had to walk the last 0.5km, total time about 1hr10min, the the adrenalin of the race will hopefully push me within the 1hr barrier, but i doubt it  ;D

the route, green dots are where i think i was down to a walking pace

Andy just look how steep those hills are, its gonna hurt, oh yes, its gonna hurt so bad  8)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013 by LandyLiam »

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

It's nearly time again for my weekly, self-inflicted, torture  :'(

5 Miles, 900ft Ascent, Skinny Legs, No Stamina and Lungs like water balloons... Not a good combination!!!

Will let you all know how I get on later if I have the energy to type.

8)
See the View

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013 »

Good luck. Have you any idea where I could maybe get a bucket full of motivation seem to have lost all of mine. Keep at it you've started so it can't get any worse.

Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

The KFC bucket is highly recommended, after running this you'll need a party bucket to replace the calories lost  ;D we both managed to make up a couple of places tonight, I brought 2 newbies along in the hope I would beat them and increase the chances of not coming last  ::) I had made a break away from dowser on the last hill, only to find a fellow competitor suffering from cramp at the top of the hill and could not bring myself to run past him (well he was my son  >:( ) so lost i couple of minutes giving him a toe massage, but more importantly I had caught up with him. Then we were on the long (1.5 miles) downhill and I managed to keep on with the young lad and just about managed to out sprint him to the finish, I think dowser finished just behind us, so another impressive result. Roll on next week when we hit the real hills  :o

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013 »

Well done guys. A couple of racing snakes in the making. :)

Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

Good luck. Have you any idea where I could maybe get a bucket full of motivation seem to have lost all of mine. Keep at it you've started so it can't get any worse.

My bucket of motivation arrived when I got home from holiday at Easter and looked through the photos.  I noticed a big belly sticking out from under every shirt, which made me look as if I was pregnant.  Even more disturbing were the photos when I didn't have a top on  :-[

For the last year I had myself convinced that I could eat as much junk and fast food as I liked without any side effects.  Maybe when I was 18 I could get away with it but now, at the ripe old age of 31 ;), I'm no longer immune.

I also found myself puffing and panting like a good 'un on short walks in the hills, especially at the Easter Camp, and it was only in Annalong Wood!!!

So that's how I got my hands on a bucket of motivation and I'm determined not to give up until I'm running up mountains like Chuck Norris.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013 by Dowser »
See the View

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos

So that's how I got my hands on a bucket of motivation and I'm determined not to give up until I'm running up mountains like Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris doesn't run up mountains, he just kicks them out of the way. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]