Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wild camping  (Read 12531 times)

Mouldsy

Wild camping
« on: May 25, 2009 »

Hi all,
I want to ask what people class as wild camping as I have seen it posted on here a few time's
Is it classed as what my hobby is, which is bushcraft or is it classed as something else entirly.
Personaly i don't class what I do as wild camping albeit I try to go out with minium equipment and make the most of what is around, which more often than not is in the wood's, For example I spent Saturday night in a shelter made from what was around us in the forest we where staying but I also sleep in the shelter with a bivvy-bag and sleeping bag, does this class me as a wild camper???
Davy..

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Wild camping
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009 »

I always classed it as sleeping somewhere not specifically set aside for camping. I thought that sleeping in a tent would still be wild camping as long as you weren't on a proper campsite. I didn't take it to mean that you weren't using modern stuff like tents / sleeping bags etc. Suppose that that would mean that you could sleep in the street and call it wild camping though :D

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009 »

I'm with jonno. Wild camping/bivving it's being able to get some kip on the trail with no shower blocks no toilets none of the mod cons off a "proper" campsite.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009 »

ok is this wild camping :o.  I went to the pub but didnt make it back home, I had a sleeping bag with me as i was supposed to stay at a friends.  Instead I slept in my sleeping bag in the trees at the back of a play park.

This is purely fictional by the way and may or may not have happened to some extent.   ;D :D
Fun is not a straight line

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009 »

ok is this wild camping :o.  I went to the pub but didnt make it back home, I had a sleeping bag with me as i was supposed to stay at a friends.  Instead I slept in my sleeping bag in the trees at the back of a play park.

This is purely fictional by the way and may or may not have happened to some extent.   ;D :D

This sounds like an ideal weekend. You should keep a bivvy bag in your handbag at all times just in case!

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009 »

Yes I am beginning to think that!! 

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009 »

Flipping heck Michelle, it must be exciting in your house. "I'm off down the Pub. Now what do I need, Handbag, Purse, Ohh yes, and a sleeping bag!"lol.
To me, wild camping is simply not camping on a proper camp site, but somewhere well away from modern amenities.

Mouldsy

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009 »

Flipping heck Michelle, it must be exciting in your house. "I'm off down the Pub. Now what do I need, Handbag, Purse, Ohh yes, and a sleeping bag!"lol.
To me, wild camping is simply not camping on a proper camp site, but somewhere well away from modern amenities.

And what would you know, ehh.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009 »

More than you anyway, Spudmuncher, lol

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009 »

you guys seem to know your stuff about wild camping and bushcraft?
But would you go for Bear Grylls, Ray Mears or Survivor Man ( sorry can't remember his name)??
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009 »

LOL yeah lippy and a camping stove - need my tea in the morning when i wake up!

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009 »

But would you go for Bear Grylls, Ray Mears or Survivor Man ( sorry can't remember his name)??

Ohhhh, don't open that can of worms. I'd combine aspects of all three to make a "Super survivor", Bear's athletic ability, Rays knowledge and Survivor Man Les Stroud's doggedness and iron will.

Mouldsy

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009 »

Personaly, I go for Ray as I am all for comfort, But Bear does have his good points in the way of his fittness and Les has a lot of knowledge as well but the Daddy of them all has to be Ray.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009 »

Thats a tough one. I  think Bear and Les are a bit more about making it all look exciting whereas Ray is more about the more gentle art of living outdoors. Also I think Ray popularised the stuff they do and without him maybe Bear and Les wouldn't be so popular. Bottom line, I think Ray is about living and enjoying the outdoors and Les and Bear are about surviving in difficult conditions so Ray is showing me stuff that seems more relevant..

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009 »

Difficult conditions and surviving- kayaking holiday in Lough Erne, no bacon butties for two days- I'll tell you now I nearly died!!
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]