Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Donard Car Park Overnight Parking  (Read 13986 times)

ChuckMcB

Donard Car Park Overnight Parking
« on: June 25, 2010 »

Any horror stories about parking your car overnight in Donard Car Park? The one beside the football pitches at the bottom of the glen river.

Perhaps parking it on the main street would be a safer bet?

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: Donard Car Park Overnight Parking
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010 »

I've left my car overnight in Donard car park a few times.  Never had any problems, although I find the trick is to park beside red leaders MR2 which is surely a more tempting prospect for a thief ;D

There are some CCTV cameras in the car park, so I try to park within line of sight of them.  No doubt they arent actually monitored though!  But I guess its a minor deterrent...

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010 »

I've never had any probs in Donard car park. But then again no one would wanna steal my car they'd prefer a nice shiney 2 seater convertable ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010 »

I had a tyre slashed last sept. Thats my only bad time out of prob 20 overnights there.

As perviously mentioned in line with the CCTV is the way to go

ChuckMcB

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010 »

Cheers guys, ended up parking at the back door of the pub last night, saw a fair few walkers doing the same....and no sign of broken glass in the morning. All good. (Was doing a quick bivvy in the Pot of Pulgarve)

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010 »

The fear of something happening to the car when left parked somewhere isn't just when on a hiking trip but I suppose every time you leave the car to go about your daily business.  I don't know what it is, but when planning an overnighter it just seems to be more of a concern to me.

I once left the car at Donard Park overnight without incident and similarly at various locations about the Mournes for day trips.

I'm hoping to do the Mourne Way walk from Newcastle to Rostrevor with my brother and ideally would like to leave a car around the half-way mark, probably around Spelga or thereabouts with all the kit for an overnighter.  Ease the strain for the walk. Leave the other car at Newcastle and then at the end of the walk get a lift or taxi back to Spelga, collect one car then onto to Newcastle for the other.

Apart from getting a convenient time for both of us to do this I'm pondering on the option of just getting a lift  and go first to the Spelga area, stash the overnight kit somehow/somewhere and then get dropped off at Newcastle. Start walking  towards Spelga and then after the overnight stash the kit again, continue walking to Rostrevor, get picked-up and stop off to retrieve the kit on the way home.

It may sound a bit extreme but reduces the likelihood of theft of or from/damage to the car(s) though I accept the alternative (low?) risk of the kit being compromised still exists.  A bit of damage limitation?

Has anyone done this type of thing before?
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011 »

It may sound a bit extreme but reduces the likelihood of theft of or from/damage to the car(s) though I accept the alternative (low?) risk of the kit being compromised still exists.  A bit of damage limitation?

Has anyone done this type of thing before?

Surfing some old posts and found noone had replyed. I have some experience of doing this (not in NI). but I would hide stuff in a wood, cover with a small camo net (hard to get hold off) or a DPM Tarp (Basha) and through over some old branches and leaves.

Hope this helps if you have not done this
No one goes inside to clear their head

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011 »

Thanks LJ.  There wasn't much activity on the boards this week-end.  I did a bit of trawling too.

Anytime I've been out I'm looking for suitable stash points to give flexibility to linear routes.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

silverback

• Newbie Poster
  • Leader of the pack.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011 »

Never had any bother when leaving it for day walks but i've got a lift up and back again for overnighters.  Saves me worrying about it halfway up the Mournes.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011 »

I've never had any bother but have heard of plenty of breakins, when i used to read the local papers there was always a mention. I tend to park in the wee car park opposite Hill Trekker, its more exposed and somehow feels safer. Of course you could always park on the road near the police station for piece of mind, theres an entrance to Donard very near it (the granite trail).
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011 »

I thought that when they installed the cameras car crime would have stopped? I've parked there loads and never had a problem or heard of a problem.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011 »

About two years ago a large group of my mates and I headed to the icehouse for an overnight with Donard car park as the meeting place. Prior to that, I had phoned the local police to see what the story with the CCTV and parking was. The cop informed me that it was an own risk thing and there was little that they would be able to do and the cameras were in operating during the busy months when the increase in people and extended light nights caused more of an issue.

Any time I am there I park as close to the club as I can, there are about 5-7 spaces covered by two cameras so for me that is the safest place.

Matthew

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011 »

when i used to read the local papers there was always a mention
well i haven't actually read the local rags on about 10 years  ::)

funny that you park beside the club when i've always avoided that part so my car doesn't get caught up the the fighting and the vomiting at closing time
think outside, no box required

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011 »

I would always stay away from the bar as well. I park as close to the trail as possible.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]