Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Feet  (Read 5816 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Feet
« on: July 22, 2013 »

Those great things most of us forget about until they start to hurt and fall apart. I'm wondering about folks and their foot care, mainly in regard to calluses. Now I know they can be a useful thing sometimes such as a gardener for instance will suffer less blisters on a days digging if he has some calluses and so on.

But for feet do folks find it is good to allow some calluses to build up to a certain level or do you find it best to scrub them down at all times? This would mainly be in regard to ensuring your footwear stays well fitting and you prevent blisters and the like.

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
Feet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013 »

I keep a certain level of tough skin, mainly on my pads.  Though I keep it filed down as too much adds to discomfort too.  Also I'm super fussy about my nail care (toes) and always keep them well trimmed.  And a bit  of nail polish always makes them look nice too!

I suffer from hot spots a lot so the same socks are always worn, I have my favourites and stick with them.

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
Feet
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013 »

Clean socks I may add.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Feet
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013 »

I've never really thought about getting rid of the hard skin, it seems to come and go itself. Like Claire I also like to keep my nails short, its one of those easily forgotten things to do before a long run or walk and can cause a lot of discomfort. However I haven't tried the nail polish, a dark colour might just hide the mud after a fell run  ;D . I haven't had a blister in a long time, I do get a hot spot on the same part of one foot after about 4 miles running, maybe getting a good pair of socks would help as I always wear cheap ones for running (but good ones for walking).

Dave please resist the temptation to post your toe photo again  ::)
think outside, no box required

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013 »

I find that my feet are fairly maintenance free, except for the usual nail trimming required.  I haven't had blisters since Duke of Ed back when I was 15 doing my bronze expedition but that would have been their first exposure to any serious mileage.

I tend not to wear shoes wherever and whenever it is socially acceptable.  You'll never see me parading down the high street au natural but around the house, in the garden, down the sailing club, on holiday in hotter climes etc I'm usually stomping around barefoot.

I'm pretty sure your all thinking "Flip sake his feet must look like butchers chopping blocks" but that's not the case.  Hard skin and calluses don't get a chance to build up and there seems to be a natural balance struck without any intervention by me.

Feet were never designed to be covered by shoes and I'm quite pleased with the way I can walk about over most surfaces pain free but would not be embarrassed by big hard lumpy feet if somebody was to offer a foot massage  ;)

I must give glass or hot coals a try some time... Maybe I'm missing my vocation in life lol

8)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013 »

I have just typed calluses into google images and i think i'll start looking after my feet more, some extreme cases there  :-\
think outside, no box required

ChuckMcB

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013 »

I keep a certain level of tough skin, mainly on my pads
Ditto.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013 »

I got pretty bad blisters at the start and just pressed on and now I don't get them anymore. I can't say that was a sensible thing to do, I may have been very lucky.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013 »

Bear feet  :o
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]