Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Slieve Binnian Summit Bivi - Sat 28Aug10  (Read 31320 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Slieve Binnian Summit Bivi - Sat 28Aug10
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010 »

That looks like an awesome spot. Very accessible too.

Grid ref is about J 329 241. On a shelf to the left of Douglas Crag highlighted here and here (put your mouse over the pic to see the box). There are two levels to it, with rocky 'steps' at the top, the lower level is almost on the clip edge and gives you this view . There are two levels to it, with rocky 'steps' deviding, the lower level is almost on the clip edge and gives you this view of Cove. It's a soggy but short walk up from the corner of Annalong Wood.

ElaineA

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010 »

Kat- ur a brave girl if you go bivvying in that weather again!!!
The kids were brill on Sat- im embarrased i was in a tent when 4-yr old Jay was bivvying out!!
Much fun. definitely one for my mountain log book..... Thanks guys :)
Miss A :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010 »

That really was one wild trip. Definitely the windiest I've seen yet. Think a smaller tarp and some foul weather practice is called for!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2010 »

That really was one wild trip. Definitely the windiest I've seen yet. Think a smaller tarp and some foul weather practice is called for!

I have to say, looking back on it I'm quite pleased with how things went.  Alright, I did have a slight tarp malfunction but I still reckon it wouldn't of collapsed if I hadn't of had to get up and put the fire out :P  I think a set of V-pegs like Chuck suggested would have held it all night, but my slippy alloy pegs were just sliding out of the peaty ground too easily.

On a plus side, I got to try out my Rab Storm properly!  Lived up to its name rather well, I was fully zipped in with a small air gap and I stayed dry and had plenty of room.  The inner of the bivvy did have a fine film of moisture over it from condensation, but no drips or puddles and my down bag survived well.  Only thing I would consider next time is swapping my self inflating mat for a Ridge Rest like Kat used and I've seen Mr. 6-Pack using in the past.  Or bringing a tent ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2010 »

It was a tough one, especially with the kids there but tbh it's not put me off - quite the opposite - just need more experience.

Your parting words to me of "Don't call us, we'll call you" made me laugh" :)

I have to say, looking back on it I'm quite pleased with how things went.  Alright, I did have a slight tarp malfunction but I still reckon it wouldn't of collapsed if I hadn't of had to get up and put the fire out :P  I think a set of V-pegs like Chuck suggested would have held it all night, but my slippy alloy pegs were just sliding out of the peaty ground too easily.

On a plus side, I got to try out my Rab Storm properly!  Lived up to its name rather well, I was fully zipped in with a small air gap and I stayed dry and had plenty of room.  The inner of the bivvy did have a fine film of moisture over it from condensation, but no drips or puddles and my down bag survived well.  Only thing I would consider next time is swapping my self inflating mat for a Ridge Rest like Kat used and I've seen Mr. 6-Pack using in the past.  Or bringing a tent ;D

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010 »

Looks like a great night had by all despite the wind. Thats a nice find with that bivvy spot chuck.

fourman

• Top Poster
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010 »

great photos the banshee 200 stood up well to the wind my first trip hopefully not the last wont be buying a bivvie just yet

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2010 »

That weekend wasn't a great advert for bivvying :) Still, when the weathers nice you can't beat a night sleeping under the stars.

great photos the banshee 200 stood up well to the wind my first trip hopefully not the last wont be buying a bivvie just yet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]