Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mourne wall walk  (Read 9208 times)

Scribble

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Mourne wall walk
« on: April 28, 2010 »

i have been sitting on my backside all day and i have finaly decided i am going to do my first bivvy while tackling the mourne wall with my dog ollie for company. i was reading about the valiant effort some on here tried but the weather turned nasty . i just want to run my route past you all to see if its right or should i start somewhere else

starting out at carrick little and going clock wise and just bivvying about half way

nice and simple plan of attack
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: Mourne wall walk
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010 »

Binnian first. That'll make a man of you ;)

The lads did it a few weeks back. You can see a bit about it here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=918.0

Someone did suggest that they would do a writeup but haven't gotten round to it yet (I'm not naming any names but it was Chris ;)) By all accounts they did a stellar job and had a weekend which was if nothing else, filled with excitement, Buckfast and helicopters!

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010 »

Not that our route wasn't the best or anything, but I'd suggest, starting at Donard Wood, getting a nice slow and steady start over Comadagh (hopefully spelt right).  Then a nice gently fast walk down to Bernagh, by which time u'll be warmed up and thing won't seem so bleak !!

On your first day, getting to the top of big Binnian, then you have a really chilled second day, just two hours or so, off Binnian, along a nice long section of wall coming up to Donard - over Donard - and you're done.

And, it is a bit hairy, in terms of twisting your ankle\breaking a leg or anything else (coming down hill - some sections - theres defo a chance of injury if u're just a bit unlucky), so, you should probably go with someone else - cos - u can't be sure of mobile phone coverage either.

I'd start very early in the morning too, and I'd keep breaks to a minimum as you only 'cool down' which kinda makes it harder.

And talking about ankle twisting, i wouldn't particularly like to come down some of those hills after it had been raining \ or was raining - as that increases the risk of something grim happening......

And bring walking poles - for sure.....  And drink plenty of water before you start..... And have a fair amount with you as basically not much water till you get to Silent Valley......

And, I'm still up for doing it in one day with a day sack....

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010 »

cheers for the tips well appreciated will look further into your route as it makes sense , the wife is a wee bit nervous when i suggested it but sure she is away to turkey for that week so she wont really miss me :) , the twisting a ankle or worse has been in the back of my mind and my walking mate has to work the wkend i am planning to go and if i dont do it i wont get another wkend to myself due to  wkends in Donegal or working..

doing it in one day sounds easy  ;D best of luck on that

this whole idea started as i want to do my first bivvy think i got sidetracked .i just hope the weather is kind when i attempt this on the 15th may

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010 »

Someone did suggest that they would do a writeup but haven't gotten round to it yet (I'm not naming any names but it was Chris ;)) By all accounts they did a stellar job and had a weekend which was if nothing else, filled with excitement, Buckfast and helicopters!

I just said it sounded fair, I didn't realise I'd signed up for anything! I'll try and do one but i'll have to leave out the excitment of the helicopter because I slept through that!

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010 »

I just said it sounded fair, I didn't realise I'd signed up for anything! I'll try and do one but i'll have to leave out the excitment of the helicopter because I slept through that!

helicopter ??? That sounds intresting I will wait on your overdue report :)

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010 »

i have been sitting on my backside all day and i have finaly decided i am going to do my first bivvy while tackling the mourne wall with my dog ollie for company. i was reading about the valiant effort some on here tried but the weather turned nasty . i just want to run my route past you all to see if its right or should i start somewhere else

starting out at carrick little and going clock wise and just bivvying about half way

nice and simple plan of attack

It's gonna be tough whatever way you do it mate. But I will say that coming over Muck from that direction will be a bollocks as it is STEEP. And keep a close eye on the weather because 22 miles in the rain is no fun, so make sure you make a good offering to the Mountain gods (They seam to shine favor on Buckfast drinkers so have a least a half bottle on your person at all times ;)

When were you planing on doing it?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010 »

Did you get around to doing this?

Done the wall back in May (see report here.. http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/?p=980) but am thinking of trying it again in the opposite direction.

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who done it as regards starting point and direction they done it in..

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010 »

Did you get around to doing this?

Done the wall back in May (see report here.. http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/?p=980) but am thinking of trying it again in the opposite direction.

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who done it as regards starting point and direction they done it in..
No never got to do this could use many excuses for it which I did basically I chickened out of it but I will one day

fatty-arbuckle

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010 »

I remember Chris saying he would do a wright-up.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]