Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Help: Using Flickr  (Read 7087 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Help: Using Flickr
« on: October 17, 2010 »

I have a Flickr user account and tried to set a mate up with one so that he can let his bro in America see some uploaded photos.  When I tried to show him how his brother could search for him and view his photos I found that he didn't come up on a search.  I then went looking for my own account and it didn't come up either.  I'm now a bit confused.  I am able to log onto both accounts and so there is no doubt about the user names.  In the settings I have checked that 'Hide your profile from public searches' is set to no.

Anyone out there who is a more experienced user have any ideas to help me?  Why not have a look for me, user: whoRya.  When I search for me it tells me that it couldn't find me but helpfully suggests I look at 'whore' instead!  I didn't.....obviously :-[
"Not all those who wander are lost."

chris

• Hero Poster
Re: Help: Using Flickr
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010 »

Same for me, typed whoRya into the search box and got nothing... Can you just post a link to your page? Bit of an arse about face way of doing things but then at least your mate could see you pics.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010 »

Thats a bit strange, because if your user name is "whoRya" then you should be able to view your photos at www.flickr.com/photos/whoRya and your profile at www.flickr.com/people/whoRya.  I see neither of those links are working...

When you log in to Flickr, does it bring up your photo page when you click "You" just under the Flickr logo at the top of the page?  If so, what is the URL in the address bar when you arrive at that page?

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010 »

Thanks for looking guys.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53973911@N08/

That's the address when I am looking at my photostream.  Below all my pictures it says that anyone can view them.  I guess the problem isn't one of privacy but rather a problem with the user name.

I looked up the NI Wild group and took a user name off it (fatty-arbuckle).  I was able to find that user ok.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010 »

Thanks for looking guys.

That's the address when I am looking at my photostream.  Below all my pictures it says that anyone can view them.  I guess the problem isn't one of privacy but rather a problem with the user name.

I looked up the NI Wild group and took a user name off it (fatty-arbuckle).  I was able to find that user ok.

I wouldn't bother looking at any of his photo's :D

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010 »

Hmm... the only thing I can suggest is that perhaps it takes awhile for you to show up in search listings?  How recently did you setup your account?

If your account is new, first you need to upload at least 5 public photos. After that minimum has been reached, then it shouldn't take more than a few days until your photos appear in searches, groups, etc. To make sure your photos show in searches, remember to add accurate tags and descriptions.

It seems a bit odd that you've been given a funny address for your Photostream, as usually it is /photos/[your username].  Perhaps thats a new thing?  EDIT: Apparently when you setup an account you can choose a personalised URL in the settings.  Go to You > Your Account.  You can only do this once, although I can't remember ever setting this up!

The only other thing I'd suggest is to double check all your settings in You > Your Account.  Check "Your Profile" is set to be searchable under "Personal Information".  Also double check your settings under "Privacy & Permissions".  Thats about all I can suggest I'm afraid!

PS: Don't forget to join up to the NI-Wild group if you haven't already done so :)

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010 »

Ok sussed this bit out now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whorya/

After trawling through forum after forum and faq after faq, I still can't work out why I can't find myself or the ID I set up for my mate.  His is Holdy61.

Under You>Your account>personal information>your profile>who can see what   - there is nothing ticked!

Under You>Your account>privacy and permission>Hide your stuff from public searches - It says no!

Under You>Your account>privacy and permission>Hide your profile from public searches - It says no!

Anyone else any other ideas? I feel like giving Flickr the flick!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010 »

Sorry dude, I'm stumped!  Only thing I can suggest is posting up a question on the actual Flickr forum and see if you can get some help there.  At least you have a decent URL setup now that you can send to people. 

Personally I would stick with it, as Flickr is an awesome service, and to be honest I rarely use the People Search function as I'm either embedding my photos in other websites or sending the URL to folk I know.  Let us know if you have any luck solving the problem!

fatty-arbuckle

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010 »

Thanks for looking guys.

I wouldn't bother looking at any of his photo's :D

Aye coz most of them are of some curly haired idiot getting in the way of a good photo ;)

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010 »

I couldn't suss out a reason for this not working.  I searched the help forum and lots of people have the problem but there is usually a rational explanation.  One good suggestion from someone was that if you put your DOB wrong on your yahoo ID (or right as the case may be) and it put you as being under 18 then you are excluded from public searches.

But anyway no one could think of anything I hadn't already tried.  Just before I left it I typed my username in again and lo and behold it appeared, like Bearnagh's torrs through the mist.  I can only conclude that the forum posts are read by the admin team who looked at my account and fixed a bug in it.  Now I'll have to post another thread on my mates behalf with the same question and hope admin pick up on it.  Yes, I set his account up too (the rational explanation reveals itself...it's just me!).

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010 »

Well at least it's fixed, just a pity we don't know what was wrong with it. Glad you got it up and running properly though as Flickr is well worth having!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011 »

Ok so me and Flickr have got on well for the last year.  However I'm now being asked to become a Pro member since I am approaching having 200 photos on my account.  I looked at Chuck's who has tons of photos and I don't see a mention of him being a Pro member.  What is everyone elses experience?  Have you encountered this?

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011 »

I created a new email using my middle name,& by changing my password by 1 letter,new account,another 200 uploads

ChuckMcB

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011 »

Yup, I'm a Pro. On the main photostream page there is a wee pro logo

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]