Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Minor injuries  (Read 5583 times)

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Minor injuries
« on: February 02, 2012 »

So last Tuesday I went and sprained my knee a wee bit.
Was rambling about Donard, in the boggy area near the ice house - when I slipped coming down a slope.
No twisting action, but landed on my haunches sort of - with my left knee. So nothing bent any way it shouldn't, but I think I've stretched it just a touch. It's been sore since, but I've been able to walk on it ok. Had no problem getting back down either.

I've been resting it since by avoiding hikes, but not completely isolating it either - still walk into work. Doing bench based upper body workouts to keep myself doing something while I rest it for another week or so.

Taking lots of Cissus Quadrangularis - apparently its good for tendons etc - I had a supply for a shoulder injury ages ago.

I guess my timing is ok- with the snow which is apparently due I'll not feel quite as bad as missing beautiful sunny outdoor days. Also want to treat this properly because I'd be kicking myself if I had any issues come our three days of summer!

I have little experience with hillwalking - so was wondering do you guys get wee knocks and sprains regularly, how do you deal with them personally (And I understand, nothing you say is medical advice etc etc.) Just looking to get a feel for how others handle it, I'm sure I'm not the first here to tweak a knee!

Ed
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Minor injuries
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012 »

Done that myself many a time Ed,as with most injuries it takes a day or two to show up,i take it your wearing proper boots with good ankle support as this is very important,good choice of footwear will help cushion the damage done by that kind of sprain.Also ibuprofen & an ice pack could help with any swelling.After a good day walking i always remove my boots asap & sock as well :P if i can get away with it,then a nice long  ;D hot bath & get them feet up on a cushion,they have been walking all day!Have you tried using poles? they do help to centre you're balance & can be very useful desending,good luck :D

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012 »

Morning John,

Yeah, when I landed I thought to myself "please be ok when I stand up - ah I'm fine ok on to the summit then" I didnt know something was up till the left knee until the right one was soreness free and loose and the left still niggled.

I've started taking a towel and soaking it, wringing it out a bit then freezing it. Wrapping my knee in it and putting the leg up on the coffee table when I'm sitting with my tea in the evening. It isn't really swollen, but that stops it niggling.

You're right about the boots, I used to go walking in approach shoes and it was a disaster waiting to happen. Here's the ones I'm using these days:

http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/product/scarpa-mistral-gtx/1298151474801/

Not top of the line or anything, but they fit my feet like gloves! Definitely better ankle support than the karrimor approach shoes.

I have a hiking pole but I was using it wrong, I had it out to my right hand side, which is why the right leg stood grand and the left one slid. From that point onward when descending slippy grass I held it out directly infront of me. Kept me good and steady. Rookie mistake - Lesson learned!

You're right about looking the boots off. I wear them day to day and they're grand, but after a long walk they feel like breeze blocks. I often rise early and get a good 3-4 hour walk in, then head to work for a 4-midnight shift. I have a wee pair of slip ons I keep under my desk that I slip into when I get in, the thought of plodding around the office in boots isn't appealing by that point!

Only other thing which comes to mind is that years ago when I was sorting out a back injury, a physio remarked that I had unbelievably flat feet, and that might cause knee problems when under strain. At 17 it went in one ear and out the other, but maybe I am thudding the feet around a bit too much, something to think about I suppose.

Cheers for the advice John, I'll have to get a wee pack of ibuprofen to keep it settled over the next week or so. I figure seeing as I've been walking fine on it, 2 weeks rest is plenty.

Friend of mine is away up cavehill today - and what a day he got for it too!

Ed
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012 by Ed »
Team Bivvy!

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012 »

Hi Ed....

My friend had a similar strain last year while training for a marathon. I got her a tube of pernaton http://www.pernaton-uk.com/Products.aspx and she was good to train again within a week  :)

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012 »

Ed,

Knees and mountains just don't get on.  The wear and tear over time just takes it's toll on your knees.  While I'm all in favour of having your knees removed at birth and getting them replaced with mechanical ones that you can just spray some WD40 on every few weeks, I think we're a while away from that yet!  Until then, I find that taking glucosamine regularly can really help.  It won't stop you slipping and sliding, but it will just keep them more accepting of the abuse we put them through.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012 »

So after over a week of rest from proper hiking (10 days of nothing other than walking in and out of work, the odd gentle exercise bike session) I went to cavehill today - with my kelly kettle etc. Total pack weight about 5kg - nothing excessive.

By God was it pouring down, but if anything I felt better for it, it was good to be out in the rain and the muck, the wind battering my face - makes you feel alive.

After having a peer over the edge at mccarts fort (I don't know why, it's not like anything will have changed) I went down the estate trail and fired up the kelly kettle in a sheltered area. Cup of suki tea assam and a pot of uncle bens mexican rice. Lovely.

Left knee was a little stiff and weakened quicker than the other but no major problems.

Thanks for all the advice folks, I will be checking out that pernation stuff, even if only to have in the house to ease the odd ache - my fiancee is a big fan of these exercise DVDs - and they have her stomping around on our tiled floor for hours - no doubt she'll find it helpful too.

On another note - Craghoppers solardry really is epic. I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to treadmarked tech in clothing, but when I got back onto the antrim road to head back to beersbridge - I was on the bus 10 mins and my trousers were dry. Fantastic.

When I got back - two fillets of salmon with a glass of water - followed by a big mug of tea and a buttered slice of wheaten - A fit post-walk meal by anyone's reckoning I'd imagine!

Ed
Team Bivvy!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]