Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Less Expensive Outdoor Kit  (Read 16005 times)

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Less Expensive Outdoor Kit
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011 »

Well Osin I think you're right about sourcing out local suppliers offering good prices,it can only be a good thing

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011 »

OMFG really, are we really discussing this. If you want to shop around and get the best price then do so. If you want to give away extra money for the same stuff more fool you. but do we really need to disscuss this???

Back-up sonny, I'm enjoying the debate  :-*
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011 »

my best ebay bargain,  a goretex sprayway coat for £1  :)  , also bought loads i don't need  :(  , some day i'll have to get round to selling it all  ::)
think outside, no box required

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011 »

The discussion has already extended beyond mere bottom-line price into wider consideration such as service and local jobs. I think it's worth the thoughts of those who want to talk about it.

Oisin, touche on the stove pricing example ;)

Having worked in high-street retail I have been glad of those jobs, and hence the customers who used the shops, but admittedly do enjoy the choice, handiness and prices of online retailers like Amazon & eBay. I'm happy to pay a difference for good service when needed, and a little difference for instant ownership. Many local places will match valid prices or at least do their best to get in the zone of possible agreement (considering their physical overheads).

Although someone always has to buy new, or be the one making it; in terms of sustainability, which may be on the mind of many outdoor users who value the environment, the second-hand/recycling scene is also important. Many outdoor products take a lot of energy, water and fossil resources to produce. Added to their long life-span it makes sense to pass them on if no-longer wanted.

eBay only take 10% for giving you access to millions of potential buyers. Although it adds up to megabucks in their pocket from millions of auctions, each seller gets 90% of the transaction, and they aren't owners of chain stores or global companies - they're regular folk (usually national) who might spend that money down the shop to buy a new jacket rather than add it to their big bank account.
Gumtree is completely free and dealing with people local to you.

There are many good points here. I see it as a big complex web. In the long run it does us harm to be too mercenary, but no point denying opportunity when needed.

As a bike courier some people tell me I'm too expensive and others tell me I'm too cheap. The service/product has different value to them. As the one on the bike I can only say it isn't worth my time to do it for any less, in which case no one would have the service available to them!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011 »

Example: Example Revised Example Revised Again
Remember % Discounts
Cotswold

15% of £145 = £21.75

New price = £123.25

Amazon

£119.99 + P&P (9.99)

Total = 129.98

Not everybody gets the 15% discount, and if they do, then why add it on in the first place?

Also, it would definitely cost me more than £9.99 to get into Belfast by car or Bus from Downpatrick in petrol alone, never mind having to pay for parking if I visited the City Centre store.

Here's a Primus Omnifuel on Ebay.  Brand New £108.46 + £7.50 p&p (Total £115.96) on a Buy-it-Now auction

Most on-line items arrive the next day and can be delivered to your home or work.  If I was relying on local stores I would have to wait up to 5 days to get the items I wanted (Sunday to Saturday) or take time off work to visit the store.  On-line Shopping is 24/7.

The idea of buying to much online shouldn't really come into it.  I find I buy more walking round the shops because it's all sitting there in front of me.  If I go into a shop for one thing I nearly always end up buying two or three things instead.

Last time I was in Cotswolds I went in for a £6 bottle of Primus Fuel and ended up with a map of Donegal, an Animal Hat and a pair of Scarpa Hiking boots and a spork >:(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011 »

Your sword spork skills are not lacking. Touche touche!

Good postage and time constraints turn the tables on store immediacy in your case (and many others). More good points.

note - don't let any of my bosses see about all those add-on sales you bought: makes my sales efforts look bad, think I sold more re-proofer than jackets  ;D
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011 »

Dowser, allot of the points you make are very valid and I certainly agree with them. I would buy a fair amount of kit online and I don't personally have a problem in doing so, though on the flipside I do occasionally shop locally, Cotswold, Surf Mountain and Jacksons due to the discount afforded to me through various groups or friends who work there.

Your point about why charge the 15-20% extra is true but I feel that the discount is applied on a number of levels, loyalty and perhaps because someone brings people into the store through recommendations. Does it make the application of discount fair, well no.

Clothes and personal kit I always buy new, I don't know why it is just something I feel the need to do, it's just one of those wee things about me. I like new gear and kit and I suppose something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but I am realistic in what I am willing to pay for it.

All in all i suppose it comes down to two key points for me, cost vs. quality and confidence in your gear it if all goes wrong, these two things, in my opinion, are very personal.

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011 »

And to think all I said was:- :) ;)

The Regatta Shop in Portstewart, on the seafront is always worth a plunder when you are up that way.

http://www.portstewartclothing.com/

Liam, especially for you!
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011 »

Good points made by all.

Still like the buying in shops more than online, more of an experience. Everyone's different though.  :)
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011 »

I have to enter into this discussion as a guy who works in the retail business even though I work in the office. The idea of going into a local shop and trying on stuff and getting the benefit of the sales assistant’s advice and then going online to buy the garment I think is unfair. I don’t mind people buying stuff online but don’t use shops to do the research. Use forums like these for advice. Because of this, some of us, including me are on 3 days a week. The reason why things are cheaper online is because they don’t have the same overheads. In fact as someone said earlier, how do you know what you are getting? Is it a copy? Is a fake? By all means buy online but also think of your local high street retailers. Can’t be fairer than that. Can I?

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011 »

I have to enter into this discussion as a guy who works in the retail business even though I work in the office. The idea of going into a local shop and trying on stuff and getting the benefit of the sales assistant’s advice and then going online to buy the garment I think is unfair. I don’t mind people buying stuff online but don’t use shops to do the research. Use forums like these for advice. Because of this, some of us, including me are on 3 days a week. The reason why things are cheaper online is because they don’t have the same overheads. In fact as someone said earlier, how do you know what you are getting? Is it a copy? Is a fake? By all means buy online but also think of your local high street retailers. Can’t be fairer than that. Can I?

On the point about trying on in shops I recall reading an article in a magazine probably Trail or TGO where a retailer in an outdoor clothing shop charges people for trying on, for this very reason.  If they buy it the initial charge is deducted from the cost.  I can see why they do it.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011 »

In my 'opinion' this is what's wrong with posting idea's on a forum,in no way what so ever did i instruct,or advice that other's should do what i did in respect of trying on a coat in a retail shop before i bought it online,this was a personnel account of how i bought this coat,i can see now that this seems to offend some people,but i made the mistake of thinking some of you guys were in the same situation as me ,ie can't afford the shop prices,made the mistake of thinking personnel opinion's are welcomed,ps i also work in retail,and it never stopped me telling anyone a good way to get a bargain

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011 »

If I was looking for a new item of clothing I have no problems with trying it in the shop them buying it online. In the end its all about what you want and what you can afford. I know there are overheads for running a shop but the increased prices in shops are OTT and I am sure you still make loads of profit (why else would you do it?). Business that sell online have overheads and can still keep there prices down. I must add I do buy from shops as well and have gave many a penny to Jacksons and Surf Mountain. But at the end of the day why pay more when you dont have to ???
No one goes inside to clear their head

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011 »

Thank's Lenny

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011 »

But at the end of the day why pay more when you dont have to ???

Well said... That sums up what competition in the market place is all about.

Competition is healthy, and good for the consumer.

Also keeps the retailer on his toes which should ultimately lead to better local prices and services  ;)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]