Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Tesco 'single layer down' sleeping bag for £19 !!!  (Read 20968 times)

micmon74

• Newbie Poster

Had been looking for a cheap lightweight sleeping bag for summer and had come across the tesco ultralite down bag on a few forums on the net. In Tescos this evening I saw them reduced to £19 so couldn't resist.

http://m.tesco.com/mt/direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7415.aspx

surfnscenic

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster

I'd be interested to hear its real weight if you could manage to weigh it sometime.

What's it feel like to sleep in?  Do zips work well?
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

i've been looking for something like that too, i even drove by a tesco this morning  >:( maybe pop in tomorrow
think outside, no box required

micmon74

• Newbie Poster

Just weighed it, 905g in it's stuff sack. It compresses really small too. Pretty thin but instructions suggest leaving it to air for 48 hrs before first use, I guess to allow it to puff up a bit. Not sure when I will get a night in it though hopefully soon. I will report back when I do.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

I would be interested in how usable a bag like this is outside summer. Generally if you sleep quite warm anyways then the cheaper bags can perform okay. I have a Vango synthetic sleeping bag that I sometimes use and I can't remember having had many comfy nights in it but I would sleep fairly cool.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks

For that reduced price I guess it is perfectly grand! There are quality synthetics in that range but they say the down is more comfortable in the warmer temperatures as it breathes better.  Certainly my Snugpak Jungle bag is very strange - it can have me both sweating in the core and cold where I touch the bag. (I do like that it is small though, can open out into a quilt and has a mossi net)

It'll do for now as at the minute I feel if I had a summer down bag /new PHD quilt 8) I would want to pay more and get significant weight savings... and just rig up some mossi protection from the headnet I'd be carrying anyway...

Sleep in comfort good sir (and air your bag permanently unless packed for a trip)!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Strangely, when it's cold out and I'm sleeping in my Alpkit bag my heels are always cold when I lie on my back. I'm guessing because they have a small surface area and press down on the bag and compress the fill.

For that reduced price I guess it is perfectly grand! There are quality synthetics in that range but they say the down is more comfortable in the warmer temperatures as it breathes better.  Certainly my Snugpak Jungle bag is very strange - it can have me both sweating in the core and cold where I touch the bag. (I do like that it is small though, can open out into a quilt and has a mossi net)

It'll do for now as at the minute I feel if I had a summer down bag /new PHD quilt 8) I would want to pay more and get significant weight savings... and just rig up some mossi protection from the headnet I'd be carrying anyway...

Sleep in comfort good sir (and air your bag permanently unless packed for a trip)!

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks

Do they hang off the mat?
In the hope of getting sponsored by them, I suggest PHD ultra down booties  ;D
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Bottom Sponsor