Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sawyer Mini water filter - £16.94 on amazon!  (Read 11493 times)

Heggs

Guys as you can tell from the subject line, the Sawyer Mini water filter is reduced  on Amazon to £16.94 (in blue colour)
Here's the link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FA2RLX2

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Re: Sawyer Mini water filter - £16.94 on amazon!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015 »

Guys as you can tell from the subject line, the Sawyer Mini water filter is reduced  on Amazon to £16.94 (in blue colour)
Here's the link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FA2RLX2

Thanks for that chum just ordered myself one ;D
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Heggs

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015 »

Haha, I thought you'd appreciate that one  :)

george81

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015 »

Good Catch, ordered!! :)

Heggs

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015 »

You're welcome George

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015 »

Something to be aware of with these inline "last forever" filters. Though many of them have silly claims like half a million or a million gallons of filter life etc, it turns out that when they are being tested in house by the company lab, the water being filtered had already been put through some kind of filter to begin with. Generally they can filter their stated amount of clean to the eye water, so they are simply taking out the nasty bugs. But if you are using them not as designed but as marketed then the lifespan is definitely going to be shorter, by how much? There lies the problem in that unless you had the time and a lab to do actual real world test conditions then it could mean it can last to 100,000 or simply 100. The only time any of us will know for sure is when you suddenly go down with the runs.

Combined with the faff of setting one of these up and all the back filling to clean them out etc, even at this price I still opt for either a double pack refill or a new bottle for the water 2 go stuff. They are only rated to 200 liters, but at least you know that 200 is a real number rather than one slipped in their through a technicality.

Heggs

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015 »

Hi Rich, you sound like you've had a bad experience with these filters? I've had one for a while now and for the price, portability and ease of use and cleaning, I can't fault them. Would you post a link for me when you get a chance as to where you get your information from as I would like to read up about it as all I can find are positive reviews.
The fact that these filters are easily cleaned by back washing means that whenever the flow rate slows down a simple back flush clears the filter for re use. They can be used inline with a water bladder, screwed onto most shop bought water bottles or attached to a supplied straw if you have no bottle means that they are very versatile too.
Here's some info that I have been reading:
https://sawyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Sawyer-Mini-Testing-Report.pdf
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/22/how-to-avoid-bottled-water-if-your-water-souce-may-be-contaminated
http://www.paddlinglight.com/reviews/sawyer-mini-water-filter-review/

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015 »

I haven't ever used one myself as I generally don't like faffing about when doing anything outdoors, if there is a simpler way of doing things. Had a quick look just now for a link for you about the claims issue. http://www.odrmag.com/industry-news/industrystories/81-marketing/2624-advertising-regulators-question-sawyer-water-filter-claims.html That is the first example I came across, you might not be able to find anything online now to demonstrate the differences but looking at a youtube review from 2014 or earlier will quickly show the old claims this company used to make.

I took a read through that pdf you linked to and one thing instantly jumped out at me. The section regarding the test water is disturbing. To begin with they got water from a source used as a municipal drinking water source, then treated it to obtain a sterile source. So rather than test a filter with nasty dead sheep bog water (which most of us drink in the Mournes), they got a sterile set of water then added certain things of their own choosing to filter.

I am sure the filter probably does work just fine, but for me personally I have issues with any company that has a dishonest practice history.

Heggs

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015 »

Hi Rich, I appreciate your concern about the filters but I am confident that with a bit of common sense as to where I'll be getting my water from and the use of this filter, I'll do just fine. I always have water treatment tablets and a means to boil water anyway, just in case. Maybe we'll meet up at the Christmas dinner and show off our filters lol
All the best
Stephen

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015 »

That's a bargain, ordered, cheers Heggs. I appreciate what Rich is saying but I'd only be using it occasionally and it's so much handier than a bottle based one, I think I'd rather just replace it every other year. The bottle based filter I have probably works okay but is such a hassle I never even bother carrying it.

Heggs

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015 »

No worries, hope you enjoy it

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015 »

I've got the Sawyer mini filter and have found it great.  I've purposely taken from non-flowing standing water and ignored a nearby river just to test it.  So far so good!
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015 »

Do you drink straight from the filter or fill a bottle? If the latter, what's the flow rate like? The bottle filter I have takes  serious effort to get water out so it takes ages.

I've got the Sawyer mini filter and have found it great.  I've purposely taken from non-flowing standing water and ignored a nearby river just to test it.  So far so good!

Heggs

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015 »

Either. I usually fill an shop bought bottle with dirty water, screw the filter on the top then you can suck and squeeze at the same time getting a decent flow rate
That sounds so wrong lol  ::)

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015 »

:) excellent piece of kit . replaced my camel bak with one of these . Easy to use light and portable. I would suggest getting   an extra water bag  .
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]