Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Boil in the Bag  (Read 28294 times)

Windy

• Top Poster
Re: Boil in the Bag
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015 »

Chris i too would go fir the flat bottom ones. If you see them let us know please
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Chris E

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015 »

A quick links to a typical e-bay post.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MYLAR-STAND-UP-POUCH-METALLIC-MATT-with-HEAT-SEAL-ZIP-LOCK-100-250-500-750-ml-/151432747758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2342185aee

or search for "mylar bag flat".
 I reckon the 500ml bag should be about right for a jetboil.

I've added photos of my first two attempts, which worked well, as I mentioned earlier.
Chris

Chris E

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015 »

Tried an "Aunties" strawberry sponge with custard in the pouch on Wednesday and it was amazing !

The sponge was one of those individual microwave ones sliced up in the pot and tipped in with a pot of ambrosia custard. It was sealed and left overnight in the fridge. Ate it for lunch the next day and it was far better than expected. I had made a spare for a friend and he was even more impressed.

Best of all it was done in less than 5 mins with no dishes etc , and the remaining water made a cup of coffee!

Two camps in the next fortnight so planning possibly chicken curry with boiler in the bag rice for one meal.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Chris

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015 »

Tried an "Aunties" strawberry sponge with custard in the pouch on Wednesday and it was amazing !

The sponge was one of those individual microwave ones sliced up in the pot and tipped in with a pot of ambrosia custard. It was sealed and left overnight in the fridge. Ate it for lunch the next day and it was far better than expected. I had made a spare for a friend and he was even more impressed.

Best of all it was done in less than 5 mins with no dishes etc , and the remaining water made a cup of coffee!

Two camps in the next fortnight so planning possibly chicken curry with boiler in the bag rice for one meal.

Welcome to the good life.

Chris E

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015 »

:D. LOL !
Chris

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015 »

Where do you get these pudings ..any chocolate
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015 »

Where do you get these pudings ..any chocolate

Not sure of the exact ones Chris is using, but I can think of no reason why any old one would do. You can get lots of sponge pudding things in tins at most places. Normally they say to drop em in a pot of boiling water to steam in, but if you took it out of the tin cold and cut it into a few pieces to fit a mylar bag. Then simply heat it the same as anything else.

Chris E

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015 »

I just used individual ones that come in a plastic pot.

Chris

ThirdPartyLurker

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016 »

This thread has been dead quite a while but thought id try anyway. Bought a pack of the lakeland pouches that were mentioned but I imagine the same principle applies to any of them. Anyone tried filling the bag and freezing them? Want to make a big pot of stew and freeze it so I dont have to remake stuff every time I want to head out last minute. I assume if there is a bit of room for it to expand it should be ok but anyone tried this yet?

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016 »

This thread has been dead quite a while but thought id try anyway. Bought a pack of the lakeland pouches that were mentioned but I imagine the same principle applies to any of them. Anyone tried filling the bag and freezing them? Want to make a big pot of stew and freeze it so I dont have to remake stuff every time I want to head out last minute. I assume if there is a bit of room for it to expand it should be ok but anyone tried this yet?

Not sure how well they hold up to freezing and expansion etc, though on the safe side probably best to just put your stew in a few small tubs portioned out and freeze those. Since you will need to thaw out the stew before heading out anyway it is no hassle to then just fill a bag as you need them.

ThirdPartyLurker

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016 »

Yeah I was planning that as an alternative. The lazy side of me was hoping I could cut out the middle bit. Ill try it with one of them and see anyway. currently my food supply takes up too much space in my pack because im using tubs. These things should cut down a little space

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016 »

Ive frozen those bags before and its been absolutely fine.
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]